Attercliffe Rads happy memories there as a kid

I never knew that a WMC was on Roundel St ! I do now remember the Non-Pots being at the junction of Attercliffe Rd and Effingham Rd. And my mother had a house on Chippingham Place (#15 I think) , on the opposite side of the canal very close to P.O & Banners.

The smallest WM club I ever went into was the Victory club, used to be a stones throw from the Attercliffe Libs. More than 10 people was a crowd !

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 17:59 ----------

Hillsboro:

great photo, I see the sign now. Never saw it 50 years ago. I used to walk up Staniforth rd to Darnall to see a girlfriend, so I was n't watching out for WMC's ! I wonder if those houses are still standing ?

..I wonder if those houses are still standing?
It seems that a few of them are, in the region of the old club entrance. Here is a link to an old map side-by-side with a modern aerial view, and here is a street-level photo. The former Methodist church is now a mosque. The old club building at the back is still there, but sadly now just a shell. Edited by hillsbro

Its ironic that many of the old churches in Attercliffe seem to have been transformed into mosques. Another one on Bodmin St where it runs into Attercliffe Rd has also undergone the transformation. The plus is that the old buildings(I believe some were built 120 years ago) remain. Most if not all of the houses in close proximity have been demolished as the population had to move.

If you do a tour of Attercliffe, Brightside, Darnall, Tinsley, Carbrook and Grimesthorpe etc most of the houses have gone but some of the shops have remained. Did the council ever think of encouraging builders to put up houses on the old sites ? A few (maybe 14) new houses have been built in Attercliffe at Britnall St), and they are all occupied and look ok. Or is the plan to keep land zoned for primarily factories in these areas ?

...Did the council ever think of encouraging builders to put up houses on the old sites ... Or is the plan to keep land zoned for primarily factories in these areas?
I think that was originally the plan. At least, I seem to remember that in the 1960s it was a general - though perhaps not exclusive - rule that no council housing was built on land that was less than 200 feet above sea level. Much of the industry was and is in these low-lying areas (as is Attercliffe) and most council (and other post-war) housing was built on higher land. The Kelvin Flats were built in 1967 more-or-lees on the 200-foot contour, and I think that few housing developments in the 1960s/70s were built on land lower down.

I never thought about sea level being a factor in Attercliffe etc. However I suppose the primary problem would be if rivers like the Don and Weir overflowed.

It can happen, the Seine in Paris is 20 feet above its normal level now and the Louvre is evacuating many artefacts !

I also remember something about the 200-foot contour influencing planning decisions by the council. I don't think that the possible risk of flooding was a factor (although just now the Parisians must be as surprised and worried as Sheffielders were in June 2007!) so much as separating industrial and residential areas. So it was a form of zoning, but as Hillsboro suggested it may not have been a hard and fast rule.

I am a little surprised that the council did not seriously consider rebuilding Attercliffe with a combo of townhouses or multi-story flats. The Attercliffe/Brightside/Darnall etc areas were quite central in having quick access to Meadowhall, the M1, city centre, Rotherham/Barnsley/Doncaster as well as its own train station. As well secondary roads, sewage, water and electricity were in place

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...