Pubs in Sheffield that play music too loud for conversation

Roger123W

it's good that people have a choice. loud music for the young 'uns, steady music for mid ages, piano for t'old 'uns, and none for those who want to hear the crockery clatter!

as a DJ, the thing i hate most is the incessant, barely audible hiss played in eateries that they class as background music. it is annoying. either turn it up or turn it off.

As pleasant as a piano playing in a pub may be on a Sunday lunch time, the piano is simply too loud in Brown's and you have to raise your voice just to chat across the table.

If they put some carpet beneath the piano I'm sure that would absorb and thus deaden the sound. As I say, in principle it's pleasant but it's just too loud!

Ottos restaurant in Sharrow has a regular evening piano player and we loved it last time we were there. It wasn't intrusive, it was just really nice live background music.

Some pubs just have bad acoustics whether or not any music is being played. It only takes a few people in the Devonshire Cat to raise noise levels to shouting pitch because of the great doming space and lack of soft furnishings. Same goes for the Hallamshire House since Thornbridge stripped it bare of any soft furnishings.

you just have to cross the road to the Stag for great conversation and great music that's not too loud. there are four rooms to go into. the disco room if you like your music at an enjoyable volume. the middle room if you want to hear the sounds but chat with your friends. the back room where the sounds reach at background level, this room will soon feature a pool table too.

(players needed for league matches soon)

then, there is the tap room with sports tv which can be quite peaceful even when the disco is on.

this friday is halloween fancy dress with karaoke disco and promises to be a great night. get in early if you want to scream.....er...sorry, sing!

saturday is karaoke disco with soul, motown, 80's and cheesey gems mixed in.

8.30 til midnight sharp.

everyone is welcome but the entertainment is more for over 25's.

Richard and Kat are the new owners of the Stag and are doing sterling work keeping the pub in great order and attracting much better clientelle than this house has endured in the past.

what you waiting for? see you soon!

DJ Shiny Shane. :D

Hi Shane,

I do use the Stag when we go to the village, and it does seem to be getting it's old appeal back, I'll be in for one or 2 this Saturday.

Pete

Mm, I haven't been called a young un for a while but, I must admit I like music quite loud in pubs.

When I meet my best mate from schooldays in town I always suggest a pub with noise, he always goes for a pub without ? I don't mind chatting over noise (and we chat non stop :-)) so it's very much a personal thing not an age thing. My personal dislike though is a pub with no music at all,

For me to be in a pub I have to be entertained, either music, an act, or something, you can sit and chat quietly at home.

Hi Shane,

I do use the Stag when we go to the village, and it does seem to be getting it's old appeal back, I'll be in for one or 2 this Saturday.

Pete

and a song or two, i trust!? :D

the Stag actively discourages the yob element from coming in with their disruptive antics and drugs.

the support from the sensible drinkers in woodhouse has been phenomenal.

long may it continue.

WELCOME BACK EVERYONE!

dont forget, friday !st november is halloween fancy dress with karaoke disco.

see you there!

My friend and i visited a bar in Leopold square recently We are of a certain age and the music was OK but just far too loud for any conversation to take place After being patronised by the bar staff telling me the choice of wine was white red or rose I got a little miffed and asked for the manager to come too our table He was about 19 and I asked him to look around the diminished crowd (at 11.00) and asked him what he could see I had to help him out here by pointing out that the majority of people left in the bar were of the same age as my friend and I and did not need the music to be played quite so loud He said he would ask the DJ to turn it down! DJ??? i thought the last one played at Josephines circa 1989!! Anyway my point was that us over 50s are the ones with money in our pocket and there are few places we can go to have a good drink and have a good conversation with our mates before turning in for our cocoa at 2 am (thats when the clubs used to close in our day) and all these places who play excessively loud music are a big turn off for us. Wake up bar owners and give us a decent place in town where we can spend our money talk to friends without shouting and enjoy the melodic sounds of Wham!s Careless Whisper in the background. (or maybe Elkie Brookes)

Archived