Ship Inn Shalesmoor

Janus

The PR blurb....

<snip>

Guests can recline in mismatched retro 60’s armchairs whilst admiring artwork displaying the history of Sheffield, and pondering what beverage to sample from the extensive list of craft beers, cask ales, wines and spirits.

<snip>

Oh dear :shakes:

Im gutted about this - of course I will give it a try but have serious reservations! I do have a beard but dont have any caps or NHS thick rimmed glasses!

Open mics are always a worry to me - what was wrong with a jukebox with David Bowie on it?! Will have to see but can't get too excited about it just yet!

---------- Post added 23-09-2015 at 10:44 ----------

Does anyone have the link for the PR blurb? Thanks

Edited by EODM83

seriuosl;y someone has took this pub on ( lets be honest aprat from the exterior it was a dump ) ploughed some money in and reopened and people are moaning maybe you'd prefer it to have become another tesco.

as for the nautical theme rope it cant be any worse than the Old Hornblower.

ill be giving it a try and all that matters to me is the ale and the price as long as its clean i must admit compared to the Shakespere which still looks like a building site complete with toilet window obscured glass frontage it will be a relief

seriuosl;y someone has took this pub on ( lets be honest aprat from the exterior it was a dump ) ploughed some money in and reopened and people are moaning maybe you'd prefer it to have become another tesco.

as for the nautical theme rope it cant be any worse than the Old Hornblower.

ill be giving it a try and all that matters to me is the ale and the price as long as its clean i must admit compared to the Shakespere which still looks like a building site complete with toilet window obscured glass frontage it will be a relief

Hear! Hear! Be careful with comments like that tho... You'll get the Shakespeare fans all upset again. And that's normally my job! :c)

The PR blurb....

The iconic Ship Inn on Shalesmore in Sheffield, which dates back to 1833 and is operated by pub company, Hawthorn Leisure, celebrates a new lease on life on Friday 25th September.

Hawthorn Leisure recognised the importance of reviving the Ship Inn and has brought the pub back to its former glory with a six figure cash injection and a fresh, modern twist. One of the oldest pubs in Sheffield, this local gem is located in a conservation area and has been a longtime community favourite.

Hawthorn Leisure has worked with local design duo, Phil Doughty and Kirsty Waldren from Concept, to retain as many original features of the pub as possible, including the unique brown tiles on the outside as well as restoring the original tiling on the inside, which builders found hidden beneath the old walls.

The Ship Inn is now a light, bright space crammed with the history of a traditional pub and the comforts of a modern venue. Guests can recline in mismatched retro 60’s armchairs whilst admiring artwork displaying the history of Sheffield, and pondering what beverage to sample from the extensive list of craft beers, cask ales, wines and spirits.

Presenting 11 continental lagers and craft beers on tap such as Schiehallion Premium, Brewdog IPA, Noble, DNA and Brooklyn Lager and over 30 varieties of bottled craft beer, the Ship Inn is set to become the number one choice for enjoying a quality pint with friends and family. Cask ale enthusiasts will also be delighted with four hand-pulls on rotation, sourced from local breweries such as Kellam Island, Sheffield and Abbeydale Breweries, with international guest ales making an appearance in regular intervals.

Premium wines and spirits accompany the craft choices so customers can expand their knowledge and drinks repertoire, alongside a list of winter cocktails, expertly made by the extensively trained bar team, such as The Ales ‘n’ Berry, Root 66, The Cornstar, Mojito with a Twist and Ride on Thyme.

Opening from 10am, coffee lovers can also pick up their morning brew of choice to sit in or take away. A range of grade one organic, fair-trade gourmet coffee (100% Arabica beans) sourced from Indonesia match perfectly with the patisseries such as the New York Vanilla Cheesecake and Lemon or Chocolate Tarts.

Complementing the offer will be a range of tasty Artisan bar snacks; Deli Boards & Sharers and delicious Hot Dogs, including Artisan Cheese Dog and Kentucky Cheese Dog, as well as a choice of classic salads such as Caesar and BBQ Chicken. The Puccias, a wood fired Italian sandwich, comes to Sheffield with options such as BBQ Pulled Pork & Kaleslaw, Pulled Ham Hock with Piccalilli, and a vegetarian choice with Sun blazed Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Pesto.

The Ship Inn is headed up by general manager, local Christy Beardshaw, who has over 20 years experience in the drinks industry.

Christy said: “Pubs have so much history and are the focal point of the local community, bringing people together. It’s a wonderful thing that we’ve managed to preserve so much of the Ship Inn – it has been standing for almost 200 years and even survived the flood caused by the Dale Dyke dam burst in 1864. The word excited doesn’t being to cover how I feel about reopening this iconic pub.

“Equally, I can’t wait for customers to explore our beer and spirit range; we’ve carefully selected products that we think will appeal to a wider audience, tantalize taste buds and offer customers the option to explore new drinks, finding themselves a new favourite.”

The Ship Inn will be offering customers entertainment with weekly events including Wednesday Quiz Night, where customers can win exploratory beer hampers filled with goodies and receive complimentary bar snacks. Each person will pay 50 pence to take part and the proceeds will be donated to Western Park Cancer Hospital.

Thursday’s are dedicated to cocktails with customers enjoying a £5 offer all day, whilst Tuesday’s and Sunday’s present a showcase of live music and open mic nights with local musicians.

The pub team is also planning to offer speciality spirit sessions, where customers can immerse themselves in the history and knowledge of premium products.

Sounds great to me

Hi everyone,

Ship Inn here, joining the conversation. Thank you for the support - we're really excited about our opening and we hope you like our new look!

Come by and say hi, try a pint or two and chat with our friendly team!

Have a great weekend!

The Ship Inn

---------- Post added 25-09-2015 at 14:39 ----------

Hi everyone,

Ship Inn here, joining the conversation!

We've just had a refurbishment and are celebrating our reopening this weekend - come in and join us, take a look around, sample a pint of tasty ale and chat to our friendly team!

We take your feedback on board and we appreciate that you're thinking of us.

Have a great weekend!

The Ship Inn team

Hi everyone,

Ship Inn here, joining the conversation. Thank you for the support - we're really excited about our opening and we hope you like our new look!

Come by and say hi, try a pint or two and chat with our friendly team!

Have a great weekend!

The Ship Inn

Here's a suggestion.

If you are going to have ever changing beers keep people up to date with your current selections on facebook or twitter.

I regularly check out Shakespeare's facebook page for updates to the beer board and often make a detour there on the way to my usual haunt if there's something good on.