Ship Inn Shalesmoor

Janus

Edited to add......whoever thinks Greene King Old Golden Hen should be included in a menu of "Craft beers" needs to get in the sea.

^^^ This ^^^

I couldn't find anything on cask I actually wanted to drink, so had a Punk IPA while my mate had Brooklyn lager. Neither were the best if I'm honest.

That said I did like the place on the whole, and the idea of a self-service beer fridge is an...interesting...if probably short-lived one, especially given it's position right by the exit.

So I'm prepared to give the place another try next timke I'm in Kelham Island. Which, given the average beer choice on recent visits, won;t be very often.

^^^ This ^^^

I couldn't find anything on cask I actually wanted to drink, so had a Punk IPA while my mate had Brooklyn lager. Neither were the best if I'm honest.

That said I did like the place on the whole, and the idea of a self-service beer fridge is an...interesting...if probably short-lived one, especially given it's position right by the exit.

So I'm prepared to give the place another try next timke I'm in Kelham Island. Which, given the average beer choice on recent visits, won;t be very often.

I'm hoping the cask range will improve as they learn what sells. One of the four handpumps is tied to Greene King so is basically a write off, the other three is to rotate around local breweries on the SIBA scheme.

I'm hoping the cask range will improve as they learn what sells. One of the four handpumps is tied to Greene King so is basically a write off, the other three is to rotate around local breweries on the SIBA scheme.

Yeah. I guess as an 'Artisan Tap' I expected more so made it the last stop before the tram back to the station, meaning I visited after the Shakespeare. Which turned out to be a mistake.

On a similar weird note I did venture into the KIT which had it's usual inept cask range on, so had half of something strong - the Mikkeller Amass that was on keg. I mean wtf?? Spot the odd one out here or what? Amass is one of my all-time favourite beers! What it was doing as as the token craft offering in the KIT I will never know.

Anyway, what I am saying here is that after this beer, and a nice keg in the Shakespeare, the Ship had very little to offer.

On a similar weird note I did venture into the KIT which had it's usual inept cask range on, so had half of something strong - the Mikkeller Amass that was on keg. I mean wtf?? Spot the odd one out here or what? Amass is one of my all-time favourite beers! What it was doing as as the token craft offering in the KIT I will never know.

à chacun son goût...some of us like the 'old school' cask range at the KIT - they are one of the few pubs in Sheffield to have a mild on. Plus the lack of keg delimits the type of drinker who uses the place...

à chacun son goût...some of us like the 'old school' cask range at the KIT - they are one of the few pubs in Sheffield to have a mild on. Plus the lack of keg delimits the type of drinker who uses the place...

I'm sure there are plenty who like the old school cask range in the KIT. Mostly those older folk who follow the usual Yorkshire tradition of 'change is not good'. Or who's tastebuds have yet to mature from their university years having a pork pie and half a Tetley's Mild for lunch.

Just saying.

I'm sure there are plenty who like the old school cask range in the KIT. Mostly those older folk who follow the usual Yorkshire tradition of 'change is not good'. Or who's tastebuds have yet to mature from their university years having a pork pie and half a Tetley's Mild for lunch.

Just saying.

It was Davenport's best mild at a rip-roaring 3.2% ABV that saw me through my varsity years...

......whoever thinks Greene King Old Golden Hen should be included in a menu of "Craft beers" needs to get in the sea.

definitely...

not been yet, but the phots I've seen don't fill me with confidence. Cask-wise nowt of interest, though if the pumps are tied to Greedy Kerching and SIBA I think they're possibly a lost cause - most interesting brewers aren't in SIBA, and those that are often eschew the DDS as it makes a fortune for SIBA and usually SFA for the brewer

As for the kegs, a bit better but hardly exciting.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with offering that selection of beers if that's what works for ones business, but it's not exactly consistent with a claim to "become the number one choice for enjoying a quality pint " or indeed the moniker "Artisan Tap"

DnAuK, I think you're being a touch too 'black and white' about it. There are people who I know who will only drink low-gravity cask beers, high-gravity cask beers, hoppy pale ales, strong keg beers, e.t.c. The best pubs cater to all of those. As someone who prefers darker beers, will only drink a strong beer when its strength doesn't overpower the rest of the taste, and detests strong citrus hops unless they are completely balanced within the flavour profile, I love the fact that the KIT usually have a mild, porter and stout on. It slightly irritates me that they don't rotate as regularly as the Fat Cat, sticking to Gorlovka, Old Moor Porter and Nutty Black most of the time, but I don't think it's quite as simple as labelling them as behind the times. It also entirely depends on how often you drink as to whether you even notice the slightly less varied rotation at somewhere like the KIT.

Back to the Ship. I was there on opening night and it was packed out. I thought the conversion had been done fairly sympathetically, yet the result is clearly a more modern and welcoming environment. The tapas menu looked exciting and I'll probably try that at some point. Regarding the beer, keg offerings like Punk IPA don't do anything for me (well, I'd have one on a hot summer's afternoon in a beer garden) and I found the keg selection to be a) underwhelming and b) not artisan. On the board, half of the artisan, craft keg selection was the likes of Amstel, Estrella, Brooklyn e.t.c. - these are just lagers - fairly middle of the road lagers from larger breweries. I seem to recall that there was only one keg beer from a small brewer, in actual fact. The cask was all from Acorn, which is fine, and I had an Old Moor Porter, which was nice, and moved on. Truthfully, I think it's the sort of place where I'd generally stop in for one and move on, unless I was eating. As Andy C says, the cask and keg selection will change, and so I'll definitely call in again.

Humorously, the Wellington was entirely full of men (not a single woman) and when I was having a pint in there, students who I'd seen in the Ship kept walking in, taking one look and walking out again :)