The Gallows, where were they?

Harry1000

He was not hung on BROUGHTON LANE, he was hung on CLIFTON STREET where the gallows were found in the back of the "THE YELLOW LION" pub.

The noose & gibbet only got its name by the owners jumping on the band wagon, That pub when it first opened was called the RAILWAY INN as the railway station was only 150 yards from the pub and the railway cottages were more or less less next door.

Where the arena now Stands used to be the " CO-OP DAIRY, COAL YARD" as you came over the bridge from Darnall you came to Kings scrap yard. Walking down broughton lane you would then approach the dairy and scrap yard,with the RAILWAY INN across the road.further down broughton lane you would reach the houses. on the corner of broughton lane and Attercliffe you would reach the BROUGHTON INN .Back of the RAILWAY INN which is now the noose and gibbet used to the GREYHOUND GARAGE with the american style coaches.

for big important hangings, like Dick Turpin then they used york and armley, but the odd hangings were done in the area that the crime was commited.

So, most people were executed either at York or Leeds as they had the Assizes, then transported back to Sheffield for gibbeting (in the case of Mr. Broughton). I heard that what we would call a kangaroo court was sometimes held near the area of the Wicker Arches, if you got sent there you were found guilty even if you weren't and dealt with near the site. Does anyone else know of this? Or any other places, what happend when Sheffield got the Assizes, did they still send them to Leeds or York?

• 1 month later...
I don't believe there are any recorded executions in Sheffield. Two people were gibbeted, - Frank Fearn on Wadsley Common in 1783 and Spence Broughton on Attercliffe Common in 1792. Both were executed in York where they were tried and convicted.

The bodies were suspended in chains from the gibbet with the arms and legs dangling so as to sway in the wind. Fearn's remains fell out of the chains on Christmas day 1797 but Broughton is supposed to have still been hanging around in 1817 :D

Found this whilst looking through the Times online,

The Rioter hanged at Sheffield is said to have died for want of a Birmingham Jury, dated Sep 1791,

so there must have been a gallows somewhere.

Where can I find out where any sites of public execution were in Sheffield? I know Spence Broughton was gibbetted on Attercliffe common but wasn't he hung elsewhere? York? Did old Sheffielders ever execute people more closer to home, Paradise Square perhaps?
there were none, most sheffield criminals were hung in leeds or sometimes york

Found this whilst looking through the Times online,

The Rioter hanged at Sheffield is said to have died for want of a Birmingham Jury, dated Sep 1791,

so there must have been a gallows somewhere.

posted by Depoix,

there were none, most sheffield criminals were hung in leeds or sometimes york.

In which case where did they hang this one?

The others on the list were executed at the Old Bailey.

posted by Depoix,

there were none, most sheffield criminals were hung in leeds or sometimes york.

In which case where did they hang this one?

The others on the list were executed at the Old Bailey.

possibly hung here when dead, in a gibbet, im interested in olde sheffield so if you ever find out that he was executed here please let me know

Archived