Do we really need white lines on anything but "A" & "B" roads ?

Given the road resurfacing work it got me wondering, why do we need white lines anyway ? They finished our road over 3 weeks back and still we have no white lines, and the world still revolves !

I guess lining all the roads must cost a huge sum of money too, that could be better spent.

'Naked Streets' in various experiments have proven to be more effective for traffic flow and safer for drivers, cyclist and pedestrians.

This is because 'people' not your label ie cyclist, driver, pedestrian think and work it out for themselves and see each other as people, instead of the transport 'label' they are.

ie - A cyclist is human being cycling a bike to their destination, not a 'cyclist' whom doesn't pay road tax and shouldn't be allowed on the roads and therefore deserves their life to be endangered.

Given the road resurfacing work it got me wondering, why do we need white lines anyway ? They finished our road over 3 weeks back and still we have no white lines, and the world still revolves !

I guess lining all the roads must cost a huge sum of money too, that could be better spent.

It wouldn't be PC to have the roads all black

• 1 year later...
Found this old thread when I was about to raise the subject.

Does anyone know if this is now policy as part of the resurfacing programme to only put markings at junctions? I noticed it when they resurfaced Stephen Hill, and now around the Hanging water area. Is this the norm?

I sincerely hope not.

Not in Sheffield, but I had the misfortune of driving home in the dark this evening(something I avoid at this time of year if possible).

The mist and fog came down suddenly.

Not good on the single track road over the mountain...

Second gear and no more than 20mph......following the white line on the curb side.

Without the white lines it would have been a case of abandoning the car on the moors and walking home in total darkness..except for torch light kept in the car for emergencies.