Do we really need white lines on anything but "A" & "B" roads ?

Found this old thread when I was about to raise the subject.

Does anyone know if this is now policy as part of the resurfacing programme to only put markings at junctions? I noticed it when they resurfaced Stephen Hill, and now around the Hanging water area. Is this the norm?

No, they can take weeks to finish marking up the roads.

No, they can take weeks to finish marking up the roads.

OK, thanks.

It's been several months, already, in the case of Stephen Hill. It seems a bit inefficient to only paint a few markings and then come back months later.

On Hangingwater Road they appear to have drawn a single thin (yellow?) line roughly down the centre of the roadway. It's barely visible. I don't know if that's to tell the road marking team where to put their lines, or if it's just to remind motorists that it is a 2 lane road.

OK, thanks.

It's been several months, already, in the case of Stephen Hill. It seems a bit inefficient to only paint a few markings and then come back months later.

Might be worth getting on the council website and contacting them.

It took a while for them to fully finish Abbeydale Rd. I didn't understand why they'd wait between doing bits either.

Since first realising that white lines are not being replaced immediately, I've noticed a lot more, where the lines are still missing, several months after resurfacing...

...which leads to the question:

If it is safe to leave the roads without the central white line for such a length of time, do we need white lines at all?

Since first realising that white lines are not being replaced immediately, I've noticed a lot more, where the lines are still missing, several months after resurfacing...

...which leads to the question:

If it is safe to leave the roads without the central white line for such a length of time, do we need white lines at all?

Most dont even know what the lines mean,or how they denote a hazard,so it seems a waste of money.Bst to spend the money on signs to tell them when its foggy instead.

As far as I'm aware central white lines are only needed on A roads and bus routes. B roads and country road white lines are not a legal requirement - drive to the conditions.

Read post #10

Driving in fog is impossible without lines.

Are you suggesting that "cats eyes" are also not needed?

It's all about lane markings being visible in all weathers.