Do we really need white lines on anything but "A" & "B" roads ?

Found this old thread when I was about to raise the subject.

Does anyone know if this is now policy as part of the resurfacing programme to only put markings at junctions? I noticed it when they resurfaced Stephen Hill, and now around the Hanging water area. Is this the norm?

Amey are supposed to replace all the lines that were there originally. I guess there are places they are trying to cut corners on the contract perhaps.

So you are saying we should abandon these road safety measures?

No, I'm saying it's not impossible to drive during fog without white lines / cats eyes, because it happens all the time without everyone crashing.

If what you were saying was true, my home village would be completely cut off every few days when the sea fog rolls in, as not a single of the roads leading to the village has any form of white lining. Cats eyes are definitely out as most of the roads are only just wide enough for two cars to pass at low speed.

Amey are supposed to replace all the lines that were there originally. I guess there are places they are trying to cut corners on the contract perhaps.

If two vehicles collide head on in the centre of the road where the markings have not yet been repainted, could there be any comeback on Amey for not doing the repainting quickly enough?

If the markings are necessary, they should be reinstated quickly. If they are not necessary, then they shouldn't be reinstated at all.