How to be assertive

Hi, I am relatively in a new job position where I have been given more authority. This may sound trivial but does anyone have any tips how to tell someone off for not wearing the correct uniform without being too harsh but conveying the message they need to sort this out.

Hi, I am relatively in a new job position where I have been given more authority. This may sound trivial but does anyone have any tips how to tell someone off for not wearing the correct uniform without being too harsh but conveying the message they need to sort this out.

what an interesting question. I would take them to one side and out of earshot and remind them that they are not wearing the correct uniform, and that they would look so much nicer if they did.:) Tell them it would please the boss.

"Any reason why you aren't wearing a uniform? No? Then tomorrow wear the uniform like everyone else."

For something as trivial as this I don't think I'd ask them if they would mind awfully wearing the uniform or reason with them. You don't state if there are any health and safety implications if they don't wear it. I'd let them off once then send them home to get it.

You don't need to 'tell someone off' to get someone to do something, that's the problem with many people who are a bit of middle management.

People are always more responsive and will respect you more if you are nice to them, you can get your point across and still be nice, there is no need to 'tell them off', they're not children.

You don't need to 'tell someone off' to get someone to do something, that's the problem with many people who are a bit of middle management.

People are always more responsive and will respect you more if you are nice to them, you can get your point across and still be nice, there is no need to 'tell them off', they're not children.

I think for most things you are totally correct but if most school children can manage a uniform I'm sure a grown up can.

Like a couple of other posters, 'telling someone off' may not be the way. If the rest of the team wear their uniforms, I'd ask the person if they have a problem with theirs, f'rinstance not fitting properly. Remind them that they know its part of the conditions of the job, and say you expect to see them wearing theirs the next day.

Taking time to talk to the person may pay dividends. Of course, if they don't comply, then take it further.

I think for most things you are totally correct but if most school children can manage a uniform I'm sure a grown up can.

Yeah but there could be a good reason, I for example am supposed to wear a shirt and tie, but since the air con is broken it's way too hot for that so I just wear a black t-shirt and trousers.

If I had a 'new' manager bursting in 'telling me off' for not wearing uniform, then that would not stand us in good stead for the future. Especially when it's someone who is above you but not your manager, I'd tell them exactly where to go.

A general rule for me is that if they don't have the authority to fire me then I don't respond with action until they ask nicely.

I suppose it depends on what the job and uniform is. I mean, if they are a policeman it's probably more serious than if they were a handy man. :hihi:

Just tell them if they arnt wearing the correct uniform the following day their P45 will be waiting for them............. simples.

Yeah but there could be a good reason, I for example am supposed to wear a shirt and tie, but since the air con is broken it's way too hot for that so I just wear a black t-shirt and trousers.

If I had a 'new' manager bursting in 'telling me off' for not wearing uniform, then that would not stand us in good stead for the future. Especially when it's someone who is above you but not your manager, I'd tell them exactly where to go.

A general rule for me is that if they don't have the authority to fire me then I don't respond with action until they ask nicely.

Depends on the job - try rocking up in trackie bs when your a policeman and I'm sure you'll be sent home. Ditto hundreds of other jobs from nurses to macdonalds or tesco staff. Do you see many working out of uniform? If its a one off (which I'm assuming it isn't) you could play nice but if its a continuous "I'll wear what I like" attitude Id come down quite hard. I don't think they'd listen to nice if they were prepared to rock the boat over something trivial that everyone else has to wear.

Archived