Welcome to your economic future, if you are employed that is

Good thread.

Wildcat strikes are needed. People need to unionise and organise strikes. Especially people on zero hour contacts.

With nothing to lose, you have everything to gain. Fight for your rights, don't be afraid of jail, there are minimum space standards and you get 3 meals a day, many workers get less than that now.

Jail sounds like fun. Have they sorted out the gang violence, forced religious conversions and rape problems?

Also, I like to wash more than once a week.

So you want people on zero hours contracts to strike and thereby not get any further hours allocated and the employer won't be breaking any laws.

Good call !!!!

Angard, Royal Mail, first wildcat strike in this country in 80 years resulted in workers getting paid (they had not been pid)

Recent strike improved workers conditions in a bakery in Wigan.

If people are to strike, they shouldn't do so on their jack jones, they should do so with fellow staff. Unionise and organise.

Union advised it's members to strike at Grangemouth.................that went well didn't it !!!

Union membership is diminishing rapidly and 70s style aggressive action won't work anymore. Grangemouth was only the start...watch the Unions lose their powers in a big way over the next few years.

Good thread.

Wildcat strikes are needed. People need to unionise and organise strikes. Especially people on zero hour contacts.

With nothing to lose, you have everything to gain. Fight for your rights, don't be afraid of jail, there are minimum space standards and you get 3 meals a day, many workers get less than that now.

Daftest bloody idea i've heard in an age. Where were you in the 50s, 60s and 70s when wildcat strikes were a regular scenario of the British industrial scene?

Don't you know that Britain's economy and industry was considerably damaged by such union militancy?

Such militancy wouldn't work today either. All that would happen is that British companies would just move out and relocate to either the EU countires of eastern Europe or to Asia

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 20:20 ----------

Unions lose their power because people won't support them. Yes I'm in a union at that.

The German industrial workers are also union members in many cases but they seem to do much better with management in achieving workable solutions together.

That's because they dont subscribe to the old Trotskyite/Marxist mindset that practicing covert class warfare is the real way to get things done

Union advised it's members to strike at Grangemouth.................that went well didn't it !!!

Union membership is diminishing rapidly and 70s style aggressive action won't work anymore. Grangemouth was only the start...watch the Unions lose their powers in a big way over the next few years.

The strike at Grangemouth showed all that is worst in trade unions. It was caused by the union convenor who was under investigation for spending his time working for the Labour Party whilst drawing a salary of around £50K for work he wasn't doing at the refinery. He though this a good enough reason to try to bring down the company.

Like you said it went ever so well and he very nearly cost the entire workforce their jobs in an attempt to save his own.

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 20:30 ----------

Daftest bloody idea i've heard in an age. Where were you in the 50s, 60s and 70s when wildcat strikes were a regular scenario of the British industrial scene?

Don't you know that Britain's economy and industry was considerably damaged by such union militancy?

Such militancy wouldn't work today either. All that would happen is that British companies would just move out and relocate to either the EU countires of eastern Europe or to Asia

Ford have just closed down production of Transit Vans in the UK and moved all production to Turkey. This followed a series of disputes and strikes by the workforce over pay and pensions.

I don't think you do your case any favours when you say ridiculous things like this -

"The corporate sector knows that higher prices kill the vulnerable in the tens of thousands in cold weather, freeing up properties that can be rented at increased rents to the many in need of housing thanks to the perpetual housing shortage."

But I think there is something seriously broken in the relationship between employer and employee nowadays. I don't think things can continue like this for long before people really object and take matters into their own hands.

It was known a long time ago that there would be less work for people to do. It was regarded as a good thing and we were promised a life of leisure in the future through automation and computerisation of routine tasks. That was what Tomorrow's World told us anyway.

What actually happened was that a few people cashed in and kept all the benefits of computerisation and automation for themselves and threw the rest on the scrapheap.

The strike at Grangemouth showed all that is worst in trade unions. It was caused by the union convenor who was under investigation for spending his time working for the Labour Party whilst drawing a salary of around £50K for work he wasn't doing at the refinery. He though this a good enough reason to try to bring down the company.

Like you said it went ever so well and he very nearly cost the entire workforce their jobs in an attempt to save his own.

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 20:30 ----------

Ford have just closed down production of Transit Vans in the UK and moved all production to Turkey. This followed a series of disputes and strikes by the workforce over pay and pensions.

So now those workers are on the dole list. Way to go !:sad:

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 20:39 ----------

I don't think you do your case any favours when you say ridiculous things like this -

"The corporate sector knows that higher prices kill the vulnerable in the tens of thousands in cold weather, freeing up properties that can be rented at increased rents to the many in need of housing thanks to the perpetual housing shortage."

But I think there is something seriously broken in the relationship between employer and employee nowadays. I don't think things can continue like this for long before people really object and take matters into their own hands.It was known a long time ago that there would be less work for people to do. It was regarded as a good thing and we were promised a life of leisure in the future through automation and computerisation of routine tasks. That was what Tomorrow's World told us anyway.

What actually happened was that a few people cashed in and kept all the benefits of computerisation and automation for themselves and threw the rest on the scrapheap.

Doing what exactly? This isn't Russia 1918 when the workers stormed the Moscow factories.

Wild eyed revolutionaries indeed :hihi: :hihi:

Doing what exactly? This isn't Russia 1918 when the workers stormed the Moscow factories.

Wild eyed revolutionaries indeed :hihi: :hihi:

1917 it was. I can't see a revolution happening any time in the near future, but I don't see the current system as sustainable either.

Archived