Should We Bring in Birching?

The point is that just because your original link suggests there are more murders in States with the death penalty, that doesn't mean the death penalty is not acting as a deterrent,

Every study I've come across suggests the same: death penalty doesn't act as a deterrent. But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

there are far too many other factors to consider as you now seem to be agreeing (ie. Social conditions).

It's been my argument all along that other factors (social conditions) are responsible for an increase or decrease in crime - and not "deterrents" such as the death penalty.

Yes. I agree. It's all Jmack's fault :D

Just to add, when I was an infant, I was severely beaten twice by a teacher at school. Once for putting two fingers through the hole in a plastic chair (she thought I was giving the two finger salute). And the second time for doing as she asked: to draw a flag of a foreign country(not knowing any better I drew the Swastika thinking it was the German flag).

It never deterred me from drawing the Swastika or swearing later in life.

Do many adults draw swastikas for fun-it is a peculiar hobby?

Do many adults draw swastikas for fun-it is a peculiar hobby?

I was in my teens when I last drew a Swastika. I drew it alongside a crucifix with a caption saying "What's the difference?". But no. I haven't drawn one for well over 20 yrs.

I was in my teens when I last drew a Swastika. I drew it alongside a crucifix with a caption saying "What's the difference?". But no. I haven't drawn one for well over 20 yrs.

I can imagine you were a devotee of heavy metal-the swatike is actually a Hindu symbol which has been reversed.

http://www.religionfacts.com/hinduism/symbols/swastika.htm

Your question may have a more complex answer than you expected.

I can imagine you were a devotee of heavy metal-the swatike is actually a Hindu symbol which has been reversed.

http://www.religionfacts.com/hinduism/symbols/swastika.htm

Your question may have a more complex answer than you expected.

Yes, the Swastika is an ancient symbol that's been used throughout history across the world. I'm aware of that.

I think the cane was usually administered to the hand.

I've never even thought of it as some form of sexual humiliation, I guess each unto their own.

Regards

Doom

it was given on the hand when i was at school and got it!!!! i dont think there was any "sexual humiliation " though, maybe those that think there is have the problem???

we though twice about doing anything knowing that a caning or a slipper was the consequence:mad:

it was given on the hand when i was at school and got it!!!! i dont think there was any "sexual humiliation " though, maybe those that think there is have the problem???

we though twice about doing anything knowing that a caning or a slipper was the consequence:mad:

Seriously we must have been buggers at my school then, once I was chucked out of the table tennis room by Jonesey (RIP) a teacher I didn't see eye to eye with. I don't know why he did it I'd done nothing wrong, but what I did was to close the doors to room & put something in the handles locking all in.

They were in about 1 minute before I myself released them, for this misdemeanor I got 6 on the hands, when I went to the deputy for my punishment he referred to me by my surname, so I told him I had a front door to my name, I think that's why it was 6.

Even now if someone just refers to me by my surname alone, I say the same thing.

Archived