Should We Bring in Birching?

Seriously we must have been buggers at my school then, once I was chucked out of the table tennis room by Jonesey (RIP) a teacher I didn't see eye to eye with. I don't know why he did it I'd done nothing wrong, but what I did was to close the doors to room & put something in the handles locking all in.

There was one lad at my school who was a right terror. He was always playing pranks like that; as well as stealing, fighting, smashing windows and throwing chairs around. The teachers must have lost count of the canes they broke over his hands and backside.

Seriously we must have been buggers at my school then, once I was chucked out of the table tennis room by Jonesey (RIP) a teacher I didn't see eye to eye with. I don't know why he did it I'd done nothing wrong, but what I did was to close the doors to room & put something in the handles locking all in.

They were in about 1 minute before I myself released them, for this misdemeanor I got 6 on the hands, when I went to the deputy for my punishment he referred to me by my surname, so I told him I had a front door to my name, I think that's why it was 6.

Even now if someone just refers to me by my surname alone, I say the same thing.

For someone in favour of discipline you seem very proud of your achievement-what is wrong about addressing someone by their surname?Do you have an odd one(name)?

Were a devotee of heavy metal,as were found in Wappentake or Rebels night club?

I wasn't a devotee of heavy metal. But I enjoyed some of the music like I would any genre. The Wap and Rebels were great though; far safer and less violent than most trendy alternatives at the time(where the threat of being beat by bouncers never deterred the hoards of scum from fighting).

For someone in favour of discipline you seem very proud of your achievement-what is wrong about addressing someone by their surname?Do you have an odd one(name)?

No not proud it was 40 years ago, so we messed about and got caned but we still respected adults, you tell me ONE profession now where that happens. Go on you like to do research, plus we were proper kids that knew how to have fun, and didn't have to sit on front of a square box, worshiping the PS3 or the x box.

I also said getting the cane & a clip round the ear, did not harm to me it made me better, that's what wrong these days too many PC mamby pamby do gooders.

They were in about 1 minute before I myself released them, for this misdemeanor I got 6 on the hands, when I went to the deputy for my punishment he referred to me by my surname, so I told him I had a front door to my name, I think that's why it was 6.

Even now if someone just refers to me by my surname alone, I say the same thing.

Sounds like you went to a soft school, I got six of the best for walking on the grass.

I also said getting the cane & a clip round the ear, did not harm to me it made me better

How do you know it didn't harm you? Your life could've taken a whole other route if you hadn't been hit. You have no idea if it did or didn't harm you. Even more so, your view own on your own life is subjective. It's anecdotal. My Mother hit me once for not trying broccoli, and I certainly don't think it did me any good. It taught me that she lost control. I still remind her of it now when she won't eat vegetables.

The pure solid fact is that in places where capital punishment exists, people still break the law. It doesn't work as a deterrent, and is a form of brutalism that I cannot and will not agree with.

How do you know it didn't harm you? Your life could've taken a whole other route if you hadn't been hit. You have no idea if it did or didn't harm you. Even more so, your view own on your own life is subjective. It's anecdotal. My Mother hit me once for not trying broccoli, and I certainly don't think it did me any good. It taught me that she lost control. I still remind her of it now when she won't eat vegetables.

The pure solid fact is that in places where capital punishment exists, people still break the law. It doesn't work as a deterrent, and is a form of brutalism that I cannot and will not agree with.

Thats very strange logic, the people in those areas that don't commit crime might well be deterred because of capital punishment, all it tells us is that it doesn't deter all crime, but then neither does prison or anything else. Unlike prison though I can't see many people committing crime in order to suffer capital punishment, but some people do commit crime in order to get back into prison.

Thats very strange logic

It isn't. If it was a deterrent then less people would commit crime.

America has the death penalty. America has larger amounts of violent crime. Capital punishment doesn't work, and is a form of brutalism.

Perfect logic.

the people in those areas that don't commit crime might well be deterred because of capital punishment

They might be deterred by non-capital punishment too. They might be deterred by fear of the bogey man. Who knows?

America has the death penalty. America has larger amounts of violent crime. Capital punishment doesn't work, and is a form of brutalism.

Perfect logic.

People that commit crime in areas were capital punishment is allowed are obviously not deterred by capital punishment, to prove your theory correct you need to look at the people that don't commit crime, ask them why they don't commit crime, it could well be because they fear capital punishment.

All you know is that capital punishment doesn't work as a deterrent for some people.

---------- Post added 31-10-2013 at 20:12 ----------

Perfect logic.

They might be deterred by non-capital punishment too. They might be deterred by fear of the bogey man. Who knows?

No one knows which is why your statement was flawed.

Archived