Should We Bring in Birching?

The problem is the prisons are full and there's no money to build more, so if they started jailing everybody who carried a knife there would be no room for any other criminals.

Something like the birch wouldn't take up prison space, but it would hopefully act as a similar deterrent.

Regards

Doom

Will you be doing the birching,and would do it for free?

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 21:41 ----------

we do't need to research them adam, all we need to do is copy the already up n running justice systems used by saudi, Iran and the taliban - they know a thing or 2 about dealing with johnny bad man.

Yes the middle east is a repository of expertise.

liberal nonsense, it's obvious that a drunk furious asshole with a glass in his hand would calm down in an instant at the thought of having his botty whipped with a birch twig.

The birch is a bit of a soft tree ,if we want a real punishment lets have oaking.That would sort the problem.

I feel we're getting somewhere :)

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 21:51 ----------

The Sheffield Forum Interest Group is crying out for a S&M section.

..literally :hihi:

I'm wondering what additional deterrent being birched provides over the possibility of spending 20-30 years in prison for murder?

It's the fear of going out with a knife in the first place, knowing that if you get caught you'll suffer a very unpleasant punishment.

If people don't carry knives, then they can't use them in a drunken/angry/drugged up moment. I'm sure not everybody who goes out with a knife does so with the intention of committing murder.

Would there be as many shootings in America if those found carrying a gun were severely punished? - I would guess not.

Wasn't it Mayor Giuliani who instigated the zero tolerance approach in New York which lead to a considerable drop in crime?

Off the top of my head in recent times we've had the recent murder of the pizza guy, someone murdered on the playing fields near Manor, a murder in broad daylight in Gleadless, the butcher in Rotherham and someone near the markets......all victims of knife crime.....A different approach to knife crime needs to be taken, because this can't be allowed to continue.

Regards

Doom

It's the fear of going out with a knife in the first place, knowing that if you get caught you'll suffer a very unpleasant punishment.

If people don't carry knives, then they can't use them in a drunken/angry/drugged up moment. I'm sure not everybody who goes out with a knife does so with the intention of committing murder.

Would there be as many shootings in America if those found carrying a gun were severely punished? - I would guess not.

Wasn't it Mayor Giuliani who instigated the zero tolerance approach in New York which lead to a considerable drop in crime?

Off the top of my head in recent times we've had the recent murder of the pizza guy, someone murdered on the playing fields near Manor, a murder in broad daylight in Gleadless, the butcher in Rotherham and someone near the markets......all victims of knife crime.....A different approach to knife crime needs to be taken, because this can't be allowed to continue.

Regards

Doom

I've read a lot of young uns carry knives as they think it will offer them protection. I don't know how you'll make kids suddenly feel safe.

Theoretically the unpleasant punishment already exists, it's getting the courts to impose them that might be the problem.

But if they do they generally attract stiff, custodial sentences.

..and I'd guess you're probably right.

Regards

Doom

All murders DOOM, which if convicted will see the offenders receive life sentences with long terms of imprisonment.

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 22:07 ----------

I've read a lot of young uns carry knives as they think it will offer them protection. I don't know how you'll make kids suddenly feel safe.

..and in fairness knife carrying isn't a new phenomenon, they've been 'sexy' accessories for young men for many years.

Thankfully Birching will never be brought back as the EU won't allow. It was the EU that finally put a stop to birching in this country donkey years ago when it was still being carried out years ago. Birching,infact any form of corporal punishment, is uncivilised and awful and it is right that it is illegal.

Put it this way if this country ever brings back birching, i'm moving to Canada.

Thankfully Birching will never be brought back as the EU won't allow. It was the EU that finally put a stop to birching in this country donkey years ago when it was still being carried out years ago. Birching,infact any form of corporal punishment, is uncivilised and awful and it is right that it is illegal.

Put it this way if this country ever brings back birching, i'm moving to Canada.

You'll be mapled if you do.

Archived