Should We Bring in Birching?

Thankfully Birching will never be brought back as the EU won't allow. It was the EU that finally put a stop to birching in this country donkey years ago when it was still being carried out years ago. Birching,infact any form of corporal punishment, is uncivilised and awful and it is right that it is illegal.

Put it this way if this country ever brings back birching, i'm moving to Canada.

We joined the EU in 1983-I think birching stopped long before then.It did continue in the IOM which may explain why many oddballs took holidays in Douglas.

All murders DOOM, which if convicted will see the offenders receive life sentences with long terms of imprisonment

It doesn't bring back the victim though.

I suggest the problem needs tackling at source and that means discouraging from carrying knives in the first place. If we can do that, then maybe we can stop some of the senseless waste that takes place in the heat of a moment when a kid carrying a knife decides to use it.

I personally think we need more stop and search and some form of punishment for those found carrying knives. I suggested birching as an option because the prisons are full, but if somebody can come up with a better idea that will discourage people from carrying knives I'm all for that....Maybe national service for those found carrying.....Instill some discipline into them.

Regards

Doom

---------- Post added 31-10-2013 at 07:50 ----------

Thankfully Birching will never be brought back as the EU won't allow. It was the EU that finally put a stop to birching in this country donkey years ago when it was still being carried out years ago. Birching,infact any form of corporal punishment, is uncivilised and awful and it is right that it is illegal.

Put it this way if this country ever brings back birching, i'm moving to Canada.

Well banning corporal and capital punishment seems to have worked, we're obviously a far more civilised country right now....Just ask the family of Thavisha Peiris who came here for a better life.

I'm all for getting out of the EU and for allowing the British public to decide whether corporal and capital punishment are the way forward....That's democracy.

Regards

Doom

If I may, no I don't think that is jfish1936's point at all.

Seems to me his point is that corporal punishment is integral to criminal organisations, as a deterrent against "anti-" organisation behaviour (break the gang rules = get a beating).

Admittedly, the context given by the first part of his post makes the entire post ambiguous about whether it should be taken as a pro- or anti- opinion about the OP's question :|

Sorry I was obscure. Just to clarify:

I'm always told that corporal punishment doesn't work ("proved by scientific studies"). Yet organised crime seems to depend on it and find it effective. Could the scientists be wrong?

Not sure whether I'm pro- or anti-

It doesn't bring back the victim though.

I suggest the problem needs tackling at source and that means discouraging from carrying knives in the first place. If we can do that, then maybe we can stop some of the senseless waste that takes place in the heat of a moment when a kid carrying a knife decides to use it.

I personally think we need more stop and search and some form of punishment for those found carrying knives. I suggested birching as an option because the prisons are full, but if somebody can come up with a better idea that will discourage people from carrying knives I'm all for that....Maybe national service for those found carrying.....Instill some discipline into them.

Regards

Doom

---------- Post added 31-10-2013 at 07:50 ----------

Well banning corporal and capital punishment seems to have worked, we're obviously a far more civilised country right now....Just ask the family of Thavisha Peiris who came here for a better life.

I'm all for getting out of the EU and for allowing the British public to decide whether corporal and capital punishment are the way forward....That's democracy.

Regards

Doom

I think it is naive to believe that a referendum is democratic,more likely to be populist.

corporal punishment does work! when i was at school about 75-80% of pupils were scared of getting the cane and never stepped out of line, another 10 or 20% were scared but occasionally misbehaved and got it which brought us back into line and the remaining 5% couldn't care and got caned as a matter of routine, now it seems the reverse is true as there is no deterrent bringing back caning in schools would be a good start to address the social problems with kids!

corporal punishment does work! when i was at school about 75-80% of pupils were scared of getting the cane and never stepped out of line, another 10 or 20% were scared but occasionally misbehaved and got it which brought us back into line and the remaining 5% couldn't care and got caned as a matter of routine, now it seems the reverse is true as there is no deterrent bringing back caning in schools would be a good start to address the social problems with kids!

I took you to be a youngster but you must have been at school with Billy Bunter.The cane is not the birch.Secondly most kids never got the cane-the teacher would let them off.You could have messed about more often without pain.I got the cane and it did me some harm but I cannot go into details.Those people who tell you otherwise (did n't harm me)are lifetime afficianados of Le Chambre S9.

I have to agree.

When I was at Mansel School it was always rumoured that one of the teachers there had a slipper with steel caps in and any pupils who misbehaved would get the slipper. Just the rumour of it was enough to stop most kids misbehaving.

These days kids don't care, because they know they're untouchable. Some get into the habit of doing whatever they like knowing that there will be no form of proper punishment and they continue that into their adult life.

Regards

Doom

I have to agree.

When I was at Mansel School it was always rumoured that one of the teachers there had a slipper with steel caps in and any pupils who misbehaved would get the slipper. Just the rumour of it was enough to stop most kids misbehaving.

These days kids don't care, because they know they're untouchable. Some get into the habit of doing whatever they like knowing that there will be no form of proper punishment and they continue that into their adult life.

Regards

Doom

Have you considered corporal punishment creates different reasons for delinquency such as people who resent and are hostile to authority?

Archived