Dispute over late payment fees - what are my rights?

We rent a parking space in the City Centre through a letting agents and we made our usual payment on Friday 29th August via standing order. This was bounced back the same day but I didn't notice until Monday 2nd September. We called in to the office the same day to find out why and we were advised that the bank details had changed and we would have been sent an email advising us of this. My Husband checked his email account but we had not received the email. We took the new details and left the office.

My Husband received a call on Tues evening from the finance department asking if we were changing the details and they mentioned a late payment fee but did not mention the amount. My Husband explained that I had the details but I was unavailable on Tuesdays so he would discuss this with me when I got home.

I changed the details first thing on Weds morning and we received a call from the finance department on Weds evening explaining that the payment had been received but not the late payment fee of £66. I said I thought this was excessive and agreed to visit the office the following day to discuss in person.

Following the call I looked at our written agreement and it states 'payment is due on or before the 2nd of the month and if payment is not received within 3 working days then a late payment fee of £30 is applied'

So If the payment was received on Wednesday then surely that falls within the 3 working days? And why was I quoted £66 when the agreement says £30?

When I went into the letting agents office the guys who deals with the parking rentals was on leave so I was advised to send everything in an email. When I got a response it said that they had quoted the wrong amount but no reference was made regarding the payment timescales, so I just refused to pay it.

It all went quiet for a while and suddenly they have popped back up asking for the late fee again. Its says in my agreement that any late fees can be taken from my deposit, but if I've paid within the timescales given then how can I prevent this?

Archived