London University Union. Another case of union leadershipabusing power

University of London Union 'Bans' Student Officials From Attending Poppy Remembrance Day Service

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/29/university-bans-students-remembrance-day-service_n_4173121.html?ir=UK+Universities+%26+Education

A university union has banned its student leaders from representing their peers at a Remembrance Day service - with the decision being slammed by an MP.

The University of London Union (ULU), which is Europe's biggest student union, barred its members from attending the memorial if they went as representatives of the organisation. The student officials are forbidden to go in an official capacity or to speak on behalf of other students,

All this after last years contoversy where Daniel Cooper (the same as this year) came under fire when he boycotted the ceremony for his own political purposes. How many esses are there in tosser.

University of London Union 'Bans' Student Officials From Attending Poppy Remembrance Day Service

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/29/university-bans-students-remembrance-day-service_n_4173121.html?ir=UK+Universities+%26+Education

A university union has banned its student leaders from representing their peers at a Remembrance Day service - with the decision being slammed by an MP.

The University of London Union (ULU), which is Europe's biggest student union, barred its members from attending the memorial if they went as representatives of the organisation. The student officials are forbidden to go in an official capacity or to speak on behalf of other students,

All this after last years contoversy where Daniel Cooper (the same as this year) came under fire when he boycotted the ceremony for his own political purposes. How many esses are there in tosser.

Couldn't agree more UTG. They'll be complaining that the white lines on parking bays at Supermarkets are racist next.

I don't understand the controversy here.

Last year the (acting) President brought the Union into disrepute by representing them and then refusing to place a wreath, so this year they've said nobody will be representing the Union. Anyone who wants to go and pay their respects can do so.

I wouldn't expect to be able to attend a service on behalf of my employers without their permission and don't understand why people are finding this to be so outrageous.

Last year the (acting) President brought the Union into disrepute by representing them and then refusing to place a wreath, so this year they've said nobody will be representing the Union. Anyone who wants to go and pay their respects can do so.

I wouldn't expect to be able to attend a service on behalf of my employers without their permission and don't understand why people are finding this to be so outrageous.

I feel they have made the gesture to encourage a response and to placate some of their Brit hating student.

I feel they have made the gesture to encourage a response and to placate some of their Brit hating student.

How is "Don't turn up to Remembrance Day and tell people you're representing ULU" a gesture that will placate anyone?

As far as I can tell it's only a way of distancing themselves from any stupid antics their members may pull this year, based on what's happened last year.

How is "Don't turn up to Remembrance Day and tell people you're representing ULU" a gesture that will placate anyone?

As far as I can tell it's only a way of distancing themselves from any stupid antics their members may pull this year, based on what's happened last year.

If people don't want to turn up then they won't. There's no need to make a statement unless to stir the pot.

How many of the students do you think were consulted on this? Do you think there was a show of hands or just a couple of nutters in charge deciding on everyone else's behalf.

How many of the students do you think were consulted on this? Do you think there was a show of hands or just a couple of nutters in charge deciding on everyone else's behalf.

But the union isn't banning anyone from going, they just don't want officials going in an official capacity. Any student can go if they want.

If people don't want to turn up then they won't. There's no need to make a statement unless to stir the pot.

The problem last year wasn't with people not turning up. The problem was with their acting president deciding to make a political stance of his own like, while representing all the students of the ULU. So yes, they did need to make a statement, to prevent a repeat of last year.

Archived