The divisiveness of censorship

Hello, this is my first day following my latest ban. on both occasions I have contacted the help desk and have requested information as to why I have been banned, this is not in the way of a complaint, I merely seek guidance so that I may avoid further bans.

Is there any possibility I may be favored with the courtesy of a reply?

If you'd like to give us the number of your outstanding ticket, we'll be very happy to reply via the helpdesk. I've had a quick check, and it appears our last reply to you was over a week ago.

• 4 months later...

... and another one bites the dust! The pattern is clear.

Bickering leads to locking whilst political bias leads to deletion of inconvenient arguments. Complain and you are gagged. Chinese style governance. :(

I believe that censoring debate is divisive and will lead to people with different beliefs and opinions moving further apart. I therefore ask the forum...

If people are denied a war of words then how will differences be settled?

By guns, that's how wars break out. People won't budge so the only option is to make them physically submit

By guns, that's how wars break out. People won't budge so the only option is to make them physically submit

If people don't talk about what bothers them then annoyance can become resentment, which can lead to division and eventually fighting. Much better to talk through your differences, try to understand the concerns of others, find common ground and (eventually) agree a way forward.

Using censorship to prevent people seeing and hearing things that challenge beliefs, politics, authority or position is the sort of thing you expect in China or Turkey... but Sheffield?

If people don't talk about what bothers them then annoyance can become resentment, which can lead to division and eventually fighting. Much better to talk through your differences, try to understand the concerns of others, find common ground and (eventually) agree a way forward.

Using censorship to prevent people seeing and hearing things that challenge beliefs, politics, authority or position is the sort of thing you expect in China or Turkey... but Sheffield?

Whatever you say I gonna reply no. What are you gonna do about it?

... and another one bites the dust! The pattern is clear.

Bickering leads to locking whilst political bias leads to deletion of inconvenient arguments. Complain and you are gagged. Chinese style governance. :(

Could you give examples? I'm not being obtuse, I just think it would be helpful for others to see those examples to see if any other explanation can be found for your grievance.

I agree wholeheartedly with the points you made, highlighted in bold.

But from my perspective, it isn't so much that what is said which causes it to be censored, but the manner in which it is said.

This is a family friendly forum, which by necessity leads to a form of censorship because an awful lot of people aren't prepared to discuss things in a way that meets forum rules.

It is perfectly possible to vehemently disagree with someone on pretty much any topic without breaking forum rules, but very few people seem prepared to enter into a discussion which limits the disagreement to one between opinions rather than insulting the person.

This is a family friendly forum, which by necessity leads to a form of censorship because an awful lot of people aren't prepared to discuss things in a way that meets forum rules.

It is perfectly possible to vehemently disagree with someone on pretty much any topic without breaking forum rules, but very few people seem prepared to enter into a discussion which limits the disagreement to one between opinions rather than insulting the person.

You should provide/allow links to another Sheffield based forum that is most certainly not family friendly and then all the horrible people can rant and rave with impunity :) And saves you guys all the hassle :)

Archived