Do the UN have it in for us?

Not so long ago the UN rather randomly stuck it's nose in over the housing benefits refrom (bedroom tax for the DM readers)

http://news.sky.com/story/1140115/axe-bedroom-tax-says-un-investigator

Now the World Health Organisation (agency of the UN) has compiled a report slagging off 'Neets'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24745612

Youth unemployment in the UK is a "public health time bomb waiting to explode", according to a review by the World Health Organisation.

It warned of the health consequences of high numbers of Neets - people not in employment, education or training.

More than one million 16 to 24-year-olds in the UK are classed as Neet.

The report also said the UK was behind other European countries on female life expectancy, deaths of children under five and child poverty.

Wealth is tightly linked to life expectancy and is one of the major reasons for the north-south health divide in the UK.

Being unemployed has immediate health consequences, including an increased risk of depression and suicide.

Being out of work in the longer term increases the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease and stroke.

persistent high levels of the number of young people over 18 not in employment, education or training is storing up a public health time bomb waiting to explode."

The length of the fuse is thought to be 10 to 20 years.

Are there not more important things to be doing than scaremongering and branding the poor and unemployed a disaster waiting to happen??

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to post in the General section.

i suppose it depends how you choose to interpret it

is it slagging off "neets"?

or is it warning the government that, if the situation isn't improved, serious problems lie ahead

i haven't read the article, but the quotes you highlight are just common sense aren't they?

and isn't it appropriate that the world health organisation is concerned about the health of the UK?

Youth unemployment in the UK is a "public health time bomb waiting to explode", according to a review by the World Health Organisation.

It warned of the health consequences of high numbers of Neets - people not in employment, education or training.

More than one million 16 to 24-year-olds in the UK are classed as Neet.

The report also said the UK was behind other European countries on female life expectancy, deaths of children under five and child poverty.

The WHO and the University College London Institute of Health Equity analysed the reasons for differences in life expectancy across Europe.

Mortality rates

Wealth is tightly linked to life expectancy and is one of the major reasons for the north-south health divide in the UK.

Being unemployed has immediate health consequences, including an increased risk of depression and suicide.

Being out of work in the longer term increases the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease and stroke.

Prof Sir Michael Marmot, who led the review, said: "Unemployment may be falling in the UK, but persistent high levels of the number of young people over 18 not in employment, education or training is storing up a public health time bomb waiting to explode."

The length of the fuse is thought to be 10 to 20 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24745612

Young people in particular are being let down completely by the state.

Unemployment is forced upon them, but it is not just unemployment that is adversely affecting their health.

They are more likely to be murdered, especially if poor.

Their housing conditions are poor.

All of this is due in large part to the government. They control employment, they control housing, they control income.

Only today we see in the news, the case of a young person in our city, who was highly educated, in poor quality employment, and he was murdered.

If highly educated people are struggling to find decent employment in order to better themselves, what chance do NEETS have?

Prof Marmot said: "We are failing too many of our children, women and young people on a grand scale.

"I would say to any government that cares about the health of its population: look at the impact of their policies on the lives people are able to lead and, more importantly, at the impact on inequality.

"Health inequality, arising from social and economic inequalities, is socially unjust, unnecessary and avoidable, and it offends against the human right to health."

Prof John Ashton, the president of the Faculty of Public Health, said: "Michael Marmot is absolutely right that the number of 'Neets' is a public health time bomb.

"There is a lot of evidence to show that being out of work is bad your health.

"It is disgraceful that a generation of young people are growing up in a world when unemployment is the norm, not the exception."

Perhaps we should be paying our youth compensation for bearing the brunt of the recession...

My suggestion of paying the poor and unemployed danger money a couple of years ago, could help reduce inequality and crime...

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=861659

Health inequalities arising from social and economic inequalities is something that could be addressed by government to improve the health of our fellow citizens, and the health of our society.

This could be done by paying people compensation, and by providing high quality jobs and lowering living costs.

What do you think?

You disgust me. How dare you use the sad death of a highly motivated, hard working, educated young man who was in that job to earn his way in life and ready to move on to the next rung.

He was not a so called neet! He was working.He was educated. He is not a tool to further your one trick pony, wishy washy ideas.

You disgust me. How dare you use the sad death of a highly motivated, hard working, educated young man who was in that job to earn his way in life and ready to move on to the next rung.

He was not a so called neet! He was working.He was educated. He is not a tool to further your one trick pony, wishy washy ideas.

Perhaps the point Chem1 was making was that those responsible were perhaps 'neets', I don't know.

It was sad about the death of this young man....but your post leaves me with the impression that if the young man had been unemployed, or not in education then soemhow it wouldn't be as tragic?....."You disgust me", a bit harsh....

Being poor and in poorly paid employment leads to an increased risk of depression, suicide, murder.

The death yesterday was tragic and preventable.

The deaths of so called NEETs are also tragic and preventable.

You imply that the life of a fellow human being is more worthy based upon wealth, education and employment, that my friend is disgusting.

i suppose it depends how you choose to interpret it

is it slagging off "neets"?

or is it warning the government that, if the situation isn't improved, serious problems lie ahead

i haven't read the article, but the quotes you highlight are just common sense aren't they?

and isn't it appropriate that the world health organisation is concerned about the health of the UK?

Surely the like of Spain with its over 50% youth unemployment rate need a talking to more than we do?

Archived