Nationalism and xenophobia' on rise ahead of European elections

Do you have an irrational dislike or fear people from other countries.  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an irrational dislike or fear people from other countries.

Sorry, but I'm with the other commentators who can see that the public sector is riven with incompetence, arrogance, lack of accountability and a contempt for the public that pay their wages.

You do know that the banks, who almost caused untold damage to our country. As are the supermarkets, who don't even know what meat they're selling, the power utilities and BP who caused billions of dollars worth of environmental damage are all private businesses? So it seems that the public sector do seem to be in good company eh?

You do know that the banks, who almost caused untold damage to our country. As are the supermarkets, who don't even know what meat they're selling, the power utilities and BP who caused billions of dollars worth of environmental damage are all private businesses? So it seems that the public sector do seem to be in good company eh?

and do YOU know that the banks , supermarkets, power utilities all pay in to their own pensions and their employees do also??? not a penny from tax payers goes into their pensions:roll:

and do YOU know that the banks , supermarkets, power utilities all pay in to their own pensions and their employees do also??? not a penny from tax payers goes into their pensions:roll:

Or, from another perspective, gas and electricity prices are so high because of the amounts that these companies pay their employees and the amounts that they put into their pension pots. Every time I turn the heating on, I'm filling up the pension pot of a Scottish Power executive.

Same difference really.

Or, from another perspective, gas and electricity prices are so high because of the amounts that these companies pay their employees and the amounts that they put into their pension pots. Every time I turn the heating on, I'm filling up the pension pot of a Scottish Power executive.

Same difference really.

private companies you have a choice who your supplier is and they are not all big companies, in fact the power companies are a slightly different kettle of fish, i believe the government should actually re nationalize power and water or at least set up a government utility company not for profit to compete and make a difference and give people choice.

private companies you have a choice who your supplier is and they are not all big companies, in fact the power companies are a slightly different kettle of fish, i believe the government should actually re nationalize power and water or at least set up a government utility company not for profit to compete and make a difference and give people choice.

I agree. There isn't really a choice in the energy market, which is why I chose it as my example.

There are plenty of other big businesses out there that only offer the illusion of choice. Banks, supermarkets, the legal profession all operate in a similar way in my opinion. Every time you use these services, you fill the pockets and pension pots of people who do little to deserve it. They seem to look after one another too.

I do know politicians stood on the sidelines and actively encouraged banks to cause untold damage. In fact, they egged them on with knighthoods and a lax tax regime.

Politicians are also the ones who control the regulatory regimes that allow supermarkets, energy companies and all the rest to rip us off.

Politicians are also the ones who allow the public sector to run completely out of control ignoring all moral, legal and professional standards.

It's time to get rid of the professional political classes because they have failed much too often.

Thats the point I have made, you don't, yet some people choose to call others xenophobic despite not knowing them.

Its only rational to fear some spiders, but fearing them all just because some are venomous must be irrational.

Following on from that its rational to fear a foreigner that wants to harm you, but not rational to fear all foreigners.

Anybody who fears all foreigners is irrational whether they realise it's irrational or not.

As you can see from the more recent responses there are a few of them around.

You could've made the poll question less antagonistic & got a more accurate response.

Anybody who fears all foreigners is irrational whether they realise it's irrational or not.

Agreed.

As you can see from the more recent responses there are a few of them around.
I didn't think there would be any xenophobic people.

You could've made the poll question less antagonistic & got a more accurate response.

I didn't make it antagonistic, its quite a straight forward question, how would you have worded it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lackluster View Post

Why do you think he's a tosspot anyway? Can you provide any evidence of this?

Only everything he's ever said and done.

Been away have you?

---------- Post added 04-11-2013 at 00:17 ----------

Originally Posted by Peer Gynt View Post

long live Nigel Farage true Brit.

True tosspot.

See the respite didn't work, maybe shock therapy next time.:loopy:

Which are more "gold plated"? Public sector pensions, or private sector pensions? Why should the public have to pay for pensions for public sector workers that they have no control or choice over? It's ridiculous. The public sector in this country is utter crap, terrible level of service for a high level of cost. Case in point, Sharon Shoesmith.

Ah, so now you're trying to drag it out onto a different tact. The alternative to the civil service is privatisation which leads to higher costs, longer processing times and generally results even more shoddy work quality as people try and cut corners at any cost all in the name of maximum profit. Worse still, it could be outsourced to another country.

Archived