Nationalism and xenophobia' on rise ahead of European elections

Do you have an irrational dislike or fear people from other countries.  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an irrational dislike or fear people from other countries.

Of course Barroso would not want people asserting their national identity or sense or indepenence, he wants the continent to remain in the grip of the EU.

So rather than presenting a coherent argument to support his stance, he simply resorts to calling people racist and xenophobic in the hope they change their opinions.

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 21:21 ----------

it manifests itself on here on a daily basis :roll:

How?.......

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 21:23 ----------

I'd imagine that all people who "dislike or fear people from other countries" would argue their dislike/fear is rational.

I suppose that would be like spiders, its irrational do dislike all spider just because some can bite and kill you, yet millions of people fear them all anyway.

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 21:24 ----------

Voted yes. I have an irrational dislike of people from Scotland and a deep-rooted fear of South Pacific Islanders.

What a silly poll. I'm also very condescending towards silly polls...

Ukip all the way. Obviously.

Whats silly about a poll asking if you fear or dislike people from other countries.

The whole premise is silly.

Why?

What responses were you expecting?

I expected the odd idiot to say something stupid, other than that I wasn't expecting anything.

It's not even the usual veiled attempt (normally including tabloid links) to bring out the nutters vs the bleeding heart liberals.

:huh:

Because people holding nationalistic and xenophobic opinions would not consider them irrational as already mentioned in this thread and most likely would not consider their feelings toward people from other countries to be based on fear or dislike.

I sure that if someone fears or dislikes people from other countries, they will know that they fear and dislike people from other countries, just like people know they fear or dislike spiders, and most people with a phobia know that their fear is irrational. Phobias are very common, with many people admitting to being irrationally afraid of something.

I sure that if someone fears or dislikes people from other countries, they will know that they fear and dislike people from other countries, just like people know they fear or dislike spiders, and most people with a phobia know that their fear is irrational. Phobias are very common, with many people admitting to being irrationally afraid of something.

I will be following this thread avidly to see if this is in fact the case.

Most people with these phobias make up reasons to rationalise them, so the phobia seems rational to them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

"Do you have an irrational dislike or fear people from other countries".

The question is twofold. Which part of the question are you asking answers for?

1. Do you have an irrational dislike of people from other countries.

or

2. Do you fear people from other countries.

There's a "yes" and "no" answer for both as their not the same question.

Maybe the continual immigration from third wordl countries has something to do with it.

There was a recent news story about a few hundred immigrants from north Africa rescued by the Italian navy after their boat sank off one of their small islands near the Italian mainland.

Apparently these peope are coming to Italy by the boatload so what are the Italians doing with them once they've landed? Are they educated and employable?

Archived