Nationalism and xenophobia' on rise ahead of European elections

Do you have an irrational dislike or fear people from other countries.  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an irrational dislike or fear people from other countries.

We can slow the rise of Nationalism and Xenophobia by education, education education!

BUT

Differences between cultural mores make this very difficult when our ways are so ingrained, even when we understand them. For example:-

The immodest dressing of Western women when seen through Asian eyes and there's a whole can of worms therein re: equality.

Telling the truth - some cultures tell the truth as a matter of course others don't tell you the truth unless there a good reason to, thereby protecting themselves.

All societies are becoming more alike we just need another few hundred years.

This is true but those who "educate" do not always present the whole picture. It is not so much a clash of cultures, its a clash of civilisations. This clash cannot be resolved because the differences are too great. In relation to say Western principles and those followed by the teachings of the Koran. There would have to be some "give" by both sides. It appears, to me anyway, that only Western civilisation is willing to "give". Until the followers of Islam accept that there are many faults with its teachings, the situation will just get worse.

There will be a revolution, there is no doubt. There will be mass civil disobedience, there is no doubt. There is already a swing to right wing politics which does not look good for the future. The NF are now the most popular party in France. We are approaching the same seriousness with the situation as experienced before World War 2. There's a few years to go yet. But it will happen.

I don't blame either side for this. Its the politicians who have let the situation develop. They'd sooner see the country burn and pick up the pieces than be called a racist or xenophobe.

nationalism, xenophobia and racism do not go hand in hand. Telling people its wrong to be proud of who they are and where they come from only causes more problems.

You are entitled to be proud of your nation, you are entitled to be proud of where you come from and what your fellow countrymen and woman have achieved. Never let others tell you, you cannot be proud of who you.

Back in the early 1800s, an Aboriginal Australian would have seen "uncontrolled immigration" into his country by people with whom he had little in common. They established their law and customs, and treated severely those who did not adapt to follow those. Exploring parties across unknown lands were sometimes led by men who were contemptuous of native customs -- and sometimes died in the desert because natives wouldn't help those who had rudely refused offers of friendship.

For some strange reason, some native Australians got xenophobic.

There was a lot of pressure on Native Australians to give up their "culture"

I am adapted to my group's ways and customs. If someone of different race and religion moves in next door, I'm prepared to be friendly. If he doesn't want to talk to me, that's his right. If he wants to throw stones at my granddaughter, because in his eyes she dresses like a whore, then I'll have something to say to him. If he persists, I'll try to get him out of the street.

Is this xenophobia and racial/religious intolerance on my part?

Please tell me!

The above is posing a false premise, i.e. that the electorate for such parties is xenophobic and supporting them for that reason.

Populist (rather than 'solely' xenophobic) parties are making headway everywhere in the EU atm because the level of discontent from the electorate at large is reaching critical mass, due to how the factors which you highlighted (in bold in the quote) affect them directly (fiscal beating, eroding standards of living, etc.) and how the Gvts are increasingly perceived as incapable of dealing with the situation credibly.

I think it's a lot more than discontent with the current state of affairs, it's discontent with the whole political systems. People are waking up to the fundamental flaws, such as the fact that a rich northern Europe cannot be consolidated in a single currency with a poor southern Europe. And the fact that the peoples of Europe have had their democratic rights stolen from them with faceless unelected grey men in grey suits based in Brussels/Strasbourg interfereing in their daily lives.

Archived