Nationalism and xenophobia' on rise ahead of European elections

Do you have an irrational dislike or fear people from other countries.  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an irrational dislike or fear people from other countries.

i wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a reply from halibut on this ! hit and run merchant without any decent real argument! good point though what has he ever achieved?? nothing anywhere near Mr farage...... up the UKIP

Have you been fox hunting recently ab?

I was pretty impressed at the way Farage handled UAF intervention at one of his talks earlier this year, it left me thinking how Miliband & Cameron would have handled the same situation, but then again they would have had a number of heavies on hand to deal with it asap.

UKIP are a lost case they don't understand that we live in a global economy. They seem to think Britain can return to the glory days of the Empire. Britain is not manufacturing anything of significance and it's not producing a highly skilled workforce of engineers. Without Europe Britain wont stand a chance against the economic power houses of Asia.

European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso has warned against nationalism, xenophobia and racism ahead of European Parliament elections next year, when anti-EU and protest parties are expected to do well.

Opinion polls months ahead of the vote, which takes place in all EU countries on May 22-25, suggest candidates on the far left and far right will gain support as voters express frustration with Europe after three years of financial turmoil, contracting growth and job losses.

In Britain, the UK Independence Party is predicted to come first or second in the elections, although a lot can change with seven months still to go before the vote.

In France, Marine Le Pen's far-right National Front has pulled away from the two mainstream parties and according to one recent poll is expected to win the election.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/30/us-eu-parliament-elections-idUSBRE99T0YZ20131030

So how does a government stop people from being xenophobic, and what does it mean to be xenophobic.

The oxford dictionary say that xenophobic people have an intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries:

How would that manifest its self and does anyone actually have an intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries?

I can't think of anyone that would fit this description.

Why should a government stop people from being xenophobic.

Personally, I have a perfectly rational fear of anyone who thinks they have a right to take away what I have worked hard for and what we made our own people die defending.

There is an enemy within this country that would see it destroyed just to spite people who work harder and do better than them.

I don't understand the context of this. Are you suggesting that if someone likes fox hunting everything else about them, their opinions etc are wrong?...

It's just a bit of banter that me and ab have engaged in for a while now, if you stick around for a bit on here you might get used to it.

---------- Post added 02-11-2013 at 21:26 ----------

i wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a reply from halibut on this ! hit and run merchant without any decent real argument! good point though what has he ever achieved?? nothing anywhere near Mr farage...... up the UKIP

Old Halibut always keeps you lot on your toes, reminds me of this.

Archived