Trick or Treat..

Some right miserable sods on here.

Agreed Mega. Big thumbs up to all the participants in Sheffield tonight - it's the only time of the year when you can actually engage with neighbours. I met one old guy who falls over himself for the virtual interaction on a night like this. I threw his sweets away though :hihi

Forget all this crap about commercialization. it's just a laugh for kids. Junior Ramps had a ball. And I thank the all those who take it for what it is, grins and a little sense of community.

I even met an old school mate from tonight!!

I love Halloween. I always put the house into lockdown: lights off, closed curtains and lock doors. Even turns into a family event where we all place bets on how many knocks we'll get at the door. It's great :)

I tell my kids to go out the night before, check which houses are lit up like christmas trees then egg the ones which are suddenly in darkness the next night. :)

I had a great time tonight we had a little group of kids about five or six years old and when they knocked at our door and shouted trick or treat I whipped open the letter box and shoved the hose pipe through and my wife turned it on full and soaked the little demons, they got their treat alright.ehehehehehe.

My parents never put my safety into question begging at the door of strangers and allowing me to consume sweets off god knows who. Nor did they ever take me to a public bonfire night where they would have no control over the actions of others who may be intoxicated. Parents should be more mindful. Lets hope their poor decision making doesn't have disastrous consequences for their vulnerable children this year.

You're safety or theirs should not be in question, good parents go with the children, I think you'll find booze at bonfires in relatively new thing, when I was a kid in 60's never saw drunks at a BF. The wife was sad we'd got loads of spice, and not 1 kid turned up, I reckon they'd been on here and read all the miserable gits & thought sod it, we'll stop in.

What I will say about some posters on SF is that they are consistent, they moan about everything, smokers, them on benefits, kids enjoying themselves I do think most were born at 20.

Got to admit watched Emmerdale last night & that Geordie bird was done up as a monster, I said to wife they've actually improved her.

...The wife was sad we'd got loads of spice, and not 1 kid turned up, I reckon they'd been on here and read all the miserable gits & thought sod it, we'll stop in.

Maybe Fright Night(brilliant) in the city centre is a lot more exciting. So trick o treating may have lost its sparkle.

Trick or Treating was actually brought to the States, from here (shock, awe!), though under the origins as "souling"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick-or-treating

The tradition of going from door to door receiving food already existed in Great Britain and Ireland in the form of "souling", where children and poor people would sing and say prayers for the dead in return for cakes.[4] Guising—children disguised in costumes going from door to door for food and coins—also predates trick or treat, and is recorded in Scotland at Halloween in 1895, where masqueraders in disguise carrying lanterns made out of scooped out turnips, visit homes to be rewarded with cakes, fruit and money.[5] While going from door to door in disguise has remained popular among Scots and Irish, the North American custom of saying "trick or treat" has recently become common.

Yes, the most modern day version that we know, might be American, at its heart its a British thing (or even European, if you dig deeper into the article)

The British have reclaimed the tradition, but you guys have made it more about the scary rather than the cuteness that the US has (princess, soldiers, firefighters, etc)

I personally never grew up with it (when we were little, dressed up, but stopped at around age 6) as my mother didnt like the idea of it anymore, and thus I dont really care for it. Also, stories of razor blades and poison hidden in sweets, put her off us taking from others in the neighbourhood.

Edit: What has become very popular is youth groups, school or churches putting together "trunk or treat"

Families of these groups gather together in the parking lots, decorate the boots of their cars and wait in costume, letting their kids roam safely and getting treats from folks they know.

I grew up in the 70s/early 80s up north and at Halloween we would go round with a hollowed out turnip asking penny for a lantern and, unlike the modern day equivalents, we went without our parents as it was considered safe.

Also remember ducking for apples, both versions i.e. apples in water and apples on a string.

jb

When I was a kid Halloween was hardly known in the UK. Then about the 1980s you started seeing stuff appear in the shops. When Harry Potter kicked off the explosion of Halloween stuff became unbearable. I don’t mind kids Trick or Treating but perhaps this day and age it needs to be supervised. I think it gives adults an excuse to dress-up and become a pratt too.

Archived