Anyone from Sheffield who has lived down south will agree with this

When I was young, which was just a few years ago, ;) I was registered with the British Nursing Agency. I worked in various Hospital down South and really enjoyed the time I spent there.

Although I hadn't thought I spoke with a broad accent, I was always being asked what part of the North I was from, when I replied Leeds which is where I lived at the time, I remember someone saying " oh yes you sound just like some of those characters on Coronation Street" I replied most indignantly " That's based in Lancashire I'm from Yorkshire" :hihi:

Thanks for the link SheffDS it was very amusing. Truth with humour!

Lol Mecky! I'm living near London and I'm basically a foreign species to them. Don't really get much real hostility though, just people who are a bit stuck up sometimes.

I lived in Tottenham for about 18 months when 10 or 11, kids and adults used to say, are you Australian, Welsh, Scottish, when I said from Sheffield each one to a man said where's that?

That said I do keep my comments about London within the bounds of the forum, I hate the place but; it gave me the best woman I've ever known or loved my mum (RIP)

Most people in the south find the local accent amusing,and the people in Sheffield find this hard to accept,meaning any comments cause some upset and discomfort.It is most apparent when the Sheffield people expect others to know about breadcakes etc.,and this underlines their insularity.

Lived down South now since 1998 and don't really miss anything about not living in the North apart from Hendersons and we stock up regularly. I still have a season ticket and attend every home game and Northern seaside towns are NOT the best. In fact most are horrible.

Most people in the south find the local accent amusing,and the people in Sheffield find this hard to accept,meaning any comments cause some upset and discomfort.It is most apparent when the Sheffield people expect others to know about breadcakes etc.,and this underlines their insularity.

No we don't but even them in Barnsley call them teacakes, how flipping stupid is that, a teacake has currants in it. Plus it's a bit different to being an adult & 11.

Archived