Cold water washing..

When I lived in Germany most if not all people washed their clothes in cold water, I've been doing the same with no problems so far. However recent media reports say you shouldn't wash at low temps because it doesn't kill germs, I'm confused. What do other people do & think?

Seriously though, does anybody actually worry about germs on clothing? Is it a real issue or something sold to us by washing powder companies?

Rather than "germs" have you considered all the skin cells and bacteria that we all shed all the time. If you don't give your bedding a good hot wash you might find it getting a little itchy.

If I wash white work shirts at 30 degrees C, then when they are dry I can see greasy stains under the arms and sometimes around the collar. some things really need a bit of heat to get all the grease and skin cells out again.

The only wash I do at high temps (90c) is whites, sheets, towels and undergarments. Things where germs really fester.

Cotton tshirts are generally are washed cold.. Heavy denims washed at 60C or more.

---------- Post added 01-11-2013 at 17:00 ----------

Rather than "germs" have you considered all the skin cells and bacteria that we all shed all the time. If you don't give your bedding a good hot wash you might find it getting a little itchy.

If I wash white work shirts at 30 degrees C, then when they are dry I can see greasy stains under the arms and sometimes around the collar. some things really need a bit of heat to get all the grease and skin cells out again.

Water temp wont do that, but pre-treating the stained areas + plus washing in the correct temps will help get most stains out and not ruin your clothes

When I lived in Germany most if not all people washed their clothes in cold water, I've been doing the same with no problems so far. However recent media reports say you shouldn't wash at low temps because it doesn't kill germs, I'm confused. What do other people do & think?

It's all about selling product.

"Look at how good our products are at washing at low temperatures!" they say.

Fast forward a few months...

"Washing at low temperatures doesn't kill germs, you need our extra germ killer!"

Archived