Cold water washing..

It's all about selling product.

"Look at how good our products are at washing at low temperatures!" they say.

Fast forward a few months...

"Washing at low temperatures doesn't kill germs, you need our extra germ killer!"

I grew up in a home that mainly used a cold wash and in the country where they sell you matching scents to the machine. (Well, maybe not, but consumerism, heck yea!)

The only wash I do at high temps (90c) is whites, sheets, towels and undergarments. Things where germs really fester.

Finding this incredible! I wash practically everything at 30 degrees all the time, partly due to having mixed wash loads that include less robust articles of clothing, but mainly because it's perfectly adequate. Also I want my clothes to last. Surely knickers disintegrate at 90 degrees C. Very occasionally, if I have a wash load of just cotton sheets and towels, I'll wash at 40 degrees.

The only wash I do at high temps (90c) is whites, sheets, towels and undergarments. Things where germs really fester.

Finding this incredible! I wash practically everything at 30 degrees all the time, partly due to having mixed wash loads that include less robust articles of clothing, but mainly because it's perfectly adequate. Also I want my clothes to last. Surely knickers disintegrate at 90 degrees C. Very occasionally, if I have a wash load of just cotton sheets and towels, I'll wash at 40 degrees.

As long as the items are of a decent quality, they will last through the wash and the temperatures. Ive had the same towels for over 7 years, and still in good nick. Bed linens are still in decent shape, though after 6 years of regular use had to recently replace set.

---------- Post added 01-11-2013 at 20:19 ----------

Though with my whites, I also use thin bleach on top of detergent to stop them from graying.

Archived