Can you still get Sally Lunns?

No, the Elephants Feet I've had were always filled with fresh cream.

You're right; now its mainly synthetic cream, but the Fletcher's bread van sold them with REAL cream, in mind I still love the occasional one. But as with such as snowballs they've got smaller & yet dearer, I always remember Sally Lunns with currants in, hence I didn't like them.

That might be a Sally Lunn in Baaarth, but in my bit of 80s Sheffield at least this was a Sally Lunn.

Interesting link. The Sally Lunn bread cake originates from Bath. Home of the Bath Bun (pronounced in the West Country with a long aaarrss as opposed to the Sheffield short aaarrss!) It is sweet almost brioche in style.

The Sheffield Sally Lunn is a plain bridge roll topped with water icing. Yummy nonetheless! :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 01-11-2013 at 23:20 ----------

I've never known a proper sally lunn to have fruit or almonds in.

From my childhood they were always a slightly sweet bread approx 6" long with plain white icing on top.We never ate them with butter either. They were never called iced fingers when I was young although they are called that in some shops now. Never a great favourite of mine.... Give me a cream bun anytime.

I only remember them being plain., no fruit and no we never had them with butter. It's a pity the name seems to be going. A nice fresh yeasty Sally Lunn was a treat....although a big choux bun filled with heavy fresh cream and topped with chocolate was the best thing on earth!

---------- Post added 02-11-2013 at 10:10 ----------

I am reliably informed that in the 1940's there was a Sally Lunn living in Sheffield. It was wartime and unfortunately Sally's ration book had been stolen.

The ration book was then used illegally which was realised when presented at The Co-Op Page Hall. A court case ensued, thief found guilty.

Wonder if the descendants of Sally Lunn are still living locally, Page Hall district?

Archived