Condensation from bedroom window wetting bed under it

Hi people,

I've recently moved in with my girlfriend and our bed is under the bedroom window. When we went to bed last night we realised that under the window the bed was very wet and water was all over the windowsill, which I think is due to condensation.

Is there anything to cut down the amount of condensation and stop the bed getting wet?

It is difficult at this time of year and the colder it gets outside the worse the condensation gets. My advice is wipe the window with a shammy or absorbent cloth morning and night. Keep the bedroom door open a bit to improve ventilation . If it is generally bad throughout the home, consider getting a dehumidifier. If you are drying clothes inside the house, this will make the situation a lot worse-the moisture will condense on the coldest surfaces, like windows for example. Leave the bathroom window open when having a hot bath/shower, and for a little while afterwards.

I have found dehumidifiers are great for drying clothes, and for generally removing moister from the home. Only use them after the windows have been closed, otherwie you will just be dragging the cold moist air into the home.

condensation happens as result of warm air meeting with the cold air outside at the window interface is the window double glazed..?you need to try and lower the temperature of the room inside.do you have any clothes on the radiators.does the window open..?if so does it have a night latch or a trickle vent to allow air circulation..?hope this helps

Hi people,

I've recently moved in with my girlfriend and our bed is under the bedroom window. When we went to bed last night we realised that under the window the bed was very wet and water was all over the windowsill, which I think is due to condensation.

Is there anything to cut down the amount of condensation and stop the bed getting wet?

Move bed away from window, open window slightly

The alternative to having the window open is to install temporary secondary glazing on that window to prevent the temperature drop causing condensation.

This sort of thing:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/210014?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

Tape the film in the right place, tension it with a hair dryer and leave it there for the winter :)

The alternative to having the window open is to install temporary secondary glazing on that window to prevent the temperature drop causing condensation.

This sort of thing:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/210014?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

Tape the film in the right place, tension it with a hair dryer and leave it there for the winter :)

The water vapour will now condense elsewhere -your suggestion simply disguises the problem which is excess moisture.

You can buy plastic film which you stretch with warm air from a hairdrier . We used this 33 yrs ago in our first house and it worked great . We have a dehumidifier now ,problem is they eat electric . keeping your house warm and ventilated is the best option and not drying washing in the house . Also using an extractor fan and keeping lids on pans when cooking .

Archived