Can someone tell me what this is? (Antiques)

- Picture below -

Hi whilst having a clear out I came across this I have no idea where it came from and what the purpose of it is I presume some sort of card game or fortune telling I haven't got a clue to be honest but it has a wooden base and two fancy brass holders for the cards that spin around

Oh and it is only small stands about 5 inches tall.

Click the Link to see picture - or copy and paste ..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/2gms.jpg/

Thanks Jack.

Metalman

You are correct

These devices were in common use at Whist Drives when I was a lad some 50 odd years ago

I think we had a 'No Trumps' hand before the half time tea break and again for the last hand

The Trumps order was always Hearts Clubs Diamonds Spades

Whist is (was) quite a skilled game and the Whist Drive was a well liked village Social Event

Metalman

You are correct

These devices were in common use at Whist Drives when I was a lad some 50 odd years ago

I think we had a 'No Trumps' hand before the half time tea break and again for the last hand

The Trumps order was always Hearts Clubs Diamonds Spades

Whist is (was) quite a skilled game and the Whist Drive was a well liked village Social Event

Indeed, I used to go to them as well. Woe betide you if you played the wrong card when your partner was some fierce-looking old dear! They could get very stroppy about it.

---------- Post added 03-11-2013 at 23:30 ----------

Dare I ask the OP, now you know what it is, what are you going to do with it?

Archived