Sheffielders who have served in the Military, put your tin hat on and

Hi Da link went,

There were rumours that HMT Devonshire had been down on the bottom during the war and had been salvaged and become a troopship. Its owners were the Bibby Line.

I have not heard of the incident you mentioned but it didn't have an RSM. It was an RAF boat and all the admin staff were RAF. The equivalent of RSM was the SWO (Station Warrant Officer).

When it ceased to be a troopship, it was recommissioned as a floating classroom and renamed Devonia. It used to carry school children on educational cruises.

Mike

Thank you Puffin. I was reading the link kindly put up by JFKvNixon and after reading about the Windrush realised that was the Ship and not the Devonshire.

---------- Post added 05-11-2013 at 14:19 ----------

Maybe you're thinking about the 'Empire Windrush', she caught fire in the Med' in 1954. I wish that we had ships like that nowadays, with a bit of history. I didn't know damn all about ships until I lived in Southampton. My favourit was the 'Georgic', that's the ship that took me to Egypt in '51.

Thanks Texas you beat me to it. There is one troopship not on that list and it was the one I went to Gibraltar on in 1948, it was the Somari or similar name and we sailed from Liverpool.

Can I just ask what is the meaning of "put tin hat on" do you expect flak off others? all I can say is good on you all, I never served in the forces but full of admiration for all those that did/do & gave their lives for this great country.

Pete

sort of but I think real flak

Can I just ask what is the meaning of "put tin hat on" do you expect flak off others? all I can say is good on you all, I never served in the forces but full of admiration for all those that did/do & gave their lives for this great country.

Pete

What it means is just after ww2 we would sit around a belly stove and tell stories. As soon as anybody got round to a war story everybody would say get your tin hat on and put your feet in a bucket of sand. There were some great story tellers, some of them may have been true.

What it means is just after ww2 we would sit around a belly stove and tell stories. As soon as anybody got round to a war story everybody would say get your tin hat on and put your feet in a bucket of sand. There were some great story tellers, some of them may have been true.

Cheers Da link, I remember my mum told us some great & not so nice stories of WW2; I always remember her telling us about the doodle bugs.

never told a tall story in my life,BUT was griping some lilly white newbie with my heroic tales of sweat and sand when later he went over to my buddy and said !cant that w+g over there speak bloody good English needless to say I was burn Black:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Cheers Da link, I remember my mum told us some great & not so nice stories of WW2; I always remember her telling us about the doodle bugs.

I don't think any doodle bugs hit Sheffield, mind you I was only 16 when the war ended and I had other things much more interesting to think about.

A girl came into the record shop I worked in and asked for Bells that jingle jangle on a 12 inch, I told we didn't have it but I had Balls that jingle jangle on a 16 inch, she said is that a record, I said it is for a lad of 16.

Archived