What do you think to tesco using facial scanning in petrol stations?

A pretty pointless exercise IMO unless TESCOs are considering fashion or which type of car you drive (insurance etc). Most people pay on debit/credit cards these days for just about everything, so your purchases and tastes are already analysed. (data mining)

Yes but until you get to the till and until the bills been presented they don't know it's you....

This sort of thing lets them do what Amazon tried a while back with personalised prices for you when you logged in - there was an uproar about that and it was quietly dropped.

Yes, and then you showed up.
You can't complain about people responding to your posts, but you can challenge what they say.

I respectfully disagree, you are not British if you dress like that.

Thankfully being British allows us to wear what we like.

Tesco’s network will be the first to roll-out of Amscreen's new OptimEyes screens nationally. The system claims to be able to determine basic demographics such as gender, age, date, time and volume, to deliver more measurable campaigns for advertisers, as well as more relevant on screen content for customers.

There is no opt out as you are facially scanned upon approaching the counter to pay for fuel etc at any one of 450+ Tesco petrol stations due to receive the system.

I find it unbelievable that Tesco can afford to spend this silly amount of money on advertising but they still sell sub standard, contaminated food.

Tesco need to get their priorities in order!!

It is sad to note that no one seems to realise this is the thin edge of the wedge. Soon faces as well as details will be stored with medical, financial, employment, educations and schooling records, so the weeding out of troublemakers, in a financial meltdown, or other emergency, could be accomplished quickly.

People are always prone to accidents, which is both sad and in some cases convenient, as it saves housing and feeding the idiots.

But better not to think of the future and concentrate of re-arranging the chair patterns as that apparently calms down the children.

From what I can see there's a big flaw in the system.

It scans your face in the queue and then plays a 100 second rolling advert.

I can't speak for all Tesco filling stations but the two I know process their customers fairly quickly, so there's no time for the ads. Is it going to stop one mid-playback to start another for the next customer?

And even if there are, you're more likely to have your head down getting your cash, payment card, Tesco clubcard in and out of your wallet or purse to be looking at ads?

From what I can see there's a big flaw in the system.

It scans your face in the queue and then plays a 100 second rolling advert.

I can't speak for all Tesco filling stations but the two I know process their customers fairly quickly, so there's no time for the ads. Is it going to stop one mid-playback to start another for the next customer?

And even if there are, you're more likely to have your head down getting your cash, payment card, Tesco clubcard in and out of your wallet or purse to be looking at ads?

It's also a bit late. By the time I've got to the till I'm not exactly going to go back into the shop to buy something I've just seen flash up on the screen.

jb

Archived