Drunk Drivers should get life bans

The discussion at work, during our lunch break, for some reason was drinking and driving, don't know why, but for some reason it was.

We all came to the same conclusion, if you get caught drinking and driving, then you should get your licence taken away for life, with no chance of getting it back.

May seem harsh, but when you have a few drinks, then get behind the wheel of a car, you know what you are doing, or if you don't then you are way too drunk.

I never drink and drive (i don't drink at all), never have, since i left school, i joined the army as a driver, when left army, became a firefighter driving the appliances, then became a bus driver, so every job i've had involved driving, and the number of times i've seen (and been called out to) drunk drivers, is astonishing.

They take drunk drivers to court, ban them for a few years n fine them (sometimes prison) but how many do it again, then go to court again, and same punishments?

So, if you get caught drink driving, and are over the limit, in my opinion, your licence should be revoked forever, and never allowed to gain another. I can't think of any exceptions that should be allowed.

Just wondered what your thoughts were, and if you had any exceptions you could think of.

snip.........Just wondered what your thoughts were, and if you had any exceptions you could think of.......

Exceptions? By extending your logic, then we should lock up shop lifters forever....etc...etc....It's a nonsense!

Oh, and Putting my mod hat on for a second, this discussion doesn't belong in the Sheffield discussions, so I'm moving it, into the General discussion forum.

I'll leave a redirect!

Exceptions? By extending your logic, then we should lock up shop lifters forever....etc...etc....It's a nonsense!

Oh, and Putting my mod hat on for a second, this discussion doesn't belong in the Sheffield discussions, so I'm moving it, into the General discussion forum.

I'll leave a redirect!

Banning drunk drivers for ever is nonsense???

Shoplifters don't endanger lives, drunk drivers do. Don't get me wrong, shoplifting isn't ok, but it is never in the same league as drink driving.

---------- Post added 04-11-2013 at 12:11 ----------

why on earth we cant just have a total no drink driving policy i dont no

Agree 100%, if you have a drink, then don't drive, or face life ban

Shoplifters don't endanger lives, drunk drivers do. Don't get me wrong, shoplifting isn't ok, but it is never in the same league as drink driving.

Ummm...Yes banning drunk drivers forever is nonsense....Don't get me wrong, I'm not for one second defending drink driving...Not in any way shape or form. But forever?....Forever is a VERY long time....

We all came to the same conclusion, if you get caught drinking and driving, then you should get your licence taken away for life, with no chance of getting it back.

The problem with banning people for life for a single offence of drink driving is that it acts as no greater disincentive to reoffend than banning them for a year of more, more importantly some people who believe they can otherwise drive perfectly well will drive any way-without insurance which could have consequences for the people or property they damage when driving.

At least with a year long ban there's a realistic prospect of being able to drive again, so most reasonable people wouldn't want to affect that possibility.

Ummm...Yes banning drunk drivers forever is nonsense....Don't get me wrong, I'm not for one second defending drink driving...Not in any way shape or form. But forever?....Forever is a VERY long time....

Yes it probably is Pete, but when they get in the car drunk & kill someone, that person is dead forever. IMO getting into a car drunk & any accident that ensues is premeditated, so you take the consequences.

I think you'll also find that around this time of year & run up to festivities, it becomes a more emotive subject.

Pete

Yes complete nonsense.

You should also ban for life anyone driving over the speed limit as this endangers people lives.

Ok, an example, while in fire service in Huddersfield, we were called out to an accident, where a drunk driver hit another car, killing a woman and a child, he was sent to prison for 8 years (out in 4) and banned from driving for 4 years. Once his ban was up, within weeks was caught again drink driving, and banned for another 4 years. He could have killed someone else.

If he had recieved a lifetime ban, perhaps the second conviction would have been avoided, and saved another possible life loss

and this is not a one-off, you read so many times of things like this happening.

Archived