Drunk Drivers should get life bans

Yes it probably is Pete, but when they get in the car drunk & kill someone, that person is dead forever. IMO getting into a car drunk & any accident that ensues is premeditated, so you take the consequences.

I think you'll also find that around this time of year & run up to festivities, it becomes a more emotive subject.

Pete

Yes and that would be probably considered as murder in a court or at least manslaughter, I'm not sure exactly.

But drink driving doesn't ALWAYS end in someone being dead. Imagine the scenario: you have a pint with lunch and then some trifle. You're stopped on the way home and breathalysed - you're over the limit! Dang they'd put sherry in the trifle. And thats it you're banned for life - your job depends on it so you lose that, your life falls apart. Is that really a fair punishment for drinking slightly too much?

Yes complete nonsense.

You should also ban for life anyone driving over the speed limit as this endangers people lives.

or having a bald tyre, or parking on a double yellow line, or a hundred and one other things....Yes drinking and driving is thoroughly irresponsible and stupid. But to pay the price forever.

Also Boyfriday's post is excellent.

Ok, an example, while in fire service in Huddersfield, we were called out to an accident, where a drunk driver hit another car, killing a woman and a child, he was sent to prison for 8 years (out in 4) and banned from driving for 4 years. Once his ban was up, within weeks was caught again drink driving, and banned for another 4 years. He could have killed someone else.

If he had recieved a lifetime ban, perhaps the second conviction would have been avoided, and saved another possible life loss

and this is not a one-off, you read so many times of things like this happening.

People still drive whether banned or not...It'd not be too far out a suggestion that someone who was willing to drive drunk would also ignore any lifetime ban..

Yes and that would be probably considered as murder in a court or at least manslaughter, I'm not sure exactly.

But drink driving doesn't ALWAYS end in someone being dead. Imagine the scenario: you have a pint with lunch and then some trifle. You're stopped on the way home and breathalysed - you're over the limit! Dang they'd put sherry in the trifle. And thats it you're banned for life - your job depends on it so you lose that, your life falls apart. Is that really a fair punishment for drinking slightly too much?

With the trifle, it's your responsibility to know what you are eating, sherry in the trifle shouldn't take you over the limit, unless it's drowned in the stuff.

Drink driving doesn't always end in someone being dead, i agree, but sometimes it does, happens a lot more than people think, i've seen it first hand on too many occasions.

or having a bald tyre, or parking on a double yellow line, or a hundred and one other things....Yes drinking and driving is thoroughly irresponsible and stupid. But to pay the price forever.

Also Boyfriday's post is excellent.

mmm so your kid get knocked down by someone drink driving could be just over limit are 20 times over limit you would be happy for that person to be driving again in few yrs time to more than likely knock down someone else :loopy:

About a year ago, i read that the government were toying with the idea of 2 strikes out policy with drink drivers, if they were caught a second time, removing their licences altogether, why a second time, if they can do it if they offend again, why not the first time.

Don't know what came of the idea, if it was scrapped or still debating it

Archived