UK [to be] 'fastest-growing Western economy'

WeX

Again, and I'm really puzzled why none of your posse grab this, that for Mecky to provide proof he/she would have had to reveal some key facts about their financial position,.

That's the perils of introducing your personal circumstances into an argument. That was Mecky's choice however.

facts which could have made it easy to determine their income level. It is completely and entirely reasonable for any forum member to refuse to provide such information to strangers if they do not want to..

Agreed. However it's quite reasonable for me to discredit a supposition that is not founded on evidence. If the only evidence is that of personal circumstance it enjoys no special priviledge though - if you cannot provide it then your supposition gets discredited and ignored.

Now, the other troubling element to this is because Mecky has a left wing agendad I wonder some of you that are harassing Mecky have a built in assumption that he/she must be a low income earner who must have benefited from the increase in the personal allowance. But again it is not your right or your privilege to know this.

No, I think I'm assuming, reasonably, that Mecky is just on pure statistics going to be in the lower 90% of people who have benefited from the increase in personal allowance. £42k a year is not "low income" and yet that level is still benefiting from a tax reduction....

I1L2T3, lets go hypothetical. What situations would increase someones income tax contributions between 2010 and 2013? Which is what Mecky is claiming? I can name 2.

1. Increase in taxable salary.
  2. Increase in employee benefits resulting in lowering of personal allowance.

Again, and I'm really puzzled why none of your posse grab this, that for Mecky to provide proof he/she would have had to reveal some key facts about their financial position, facts which could have made it easy to determine their income level.
One therefore has to wonder why Mecky would volunteer information about his personal tax situation in the first place. Don't hand the club over if you don't want to get beaten up with it.

It is completely and entirely reasonable for any forum member to refuse to provide such information to strangers if they do not want to.
That is not disputed at all, I1L2T3.

What is unreasonable, however, is to try and support one's opinion with -at best- misleading statements or -at worse- outright falsehoods. Then expect dissenters to just take it lying down.

I could tell you right now that my tax burden has increased and given that the tax burden has increased for some individuals there is nothing you could say or do to prove me wrong. Unless of course you started demanding details of my personal finances and you know what would happen if you did.
Yes, a repeat situation would be created, with posters justifiably asking you to either vindicate your assertion or retract it, then in the absence of either, your original post lose any and all significance in this debate.

Now, the other troubling element to this is because Mecky has a left wing agendad I wonder some of you that are harassing Mecky have a built in assumption that he/she must be a low income earner who must have benefited from the increase in the personal allowance. But again it is not your right or your privilege to know this.
Neither is it Mecky's priviledge to have his bald assertions go unchallenged. At the risk of repeating myself, this is an open debate on a public forum, not Mecky's private thread on Mecky's private forum.

The political bias of Mecky is well-known to most on here, and quite irrelevant to this side issue. A retraction, the same as is asked of any Forum poster caught out posting fibs in any debate on here, would have ended the matter ages ago.

There has been no assumption that I can see about a low (or high) level of income, simply hypotheses formulated and explained under relevant applicable tax bands to try and understand/validate the factual character (or otherwise) of his assertion.

I say bygones, and will now unsubscribe from this thread.

With the hike in VAT and higher levels of inflation (thus increasing the VAT paid), would it not be possible for some people to be paying more tax more than 3 years ago - albeit indirect taxes ?

Maybe but this particular piece of the conversation is purely about income tax and NI...as Mecky's oh so polite post indicates..

Less tax and NI, why don't you try listening?

With the hike in VAT and higher levels of inflation (thus increasing the VAT paid), would it not be possible for some people to be paying more tax more than 3 years ago - albeit indirect taxes ?

Mecky claims he is paying more personal tax when replying to a comment about how personal allowances have increased reducing peoples tax.

VAT and cost of living do not come into it.

---------- Post added 12-11-2013 at 20:08 ----------

I1L2T3, lets go hypothetical. What situations would increase someones income tax contributions between 2010 and 2013? Which is what Mecky is claiming? I can name 2.

1. Increase in taxable salary.
  2. Increase in employee benefits resulting in lowering of personal allowance.

Come on I1L2T3, why are you now ignoring my question? You have defended Mecky's rights not to divulge his financial information, which actually no one had asked for but you fail to answer this impersonal question.

It becomes more and more difficult for mecky to deny the truth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24926512

Bank of England governor Mark Carney says the UK recovery has "taken hold" and unemployment will fall sooner than it had forecast.

The comments came in the Bank's latest quarterly inflation report, which raised the forecast for UK economic growth this year and next.

Mr Carney has said the Bank will not consider raising interest rates until the jobless rate falls to 7% or below.

On Wednesday, the UK unemployment rate was reported at 7.6%, down from 7.8%.

Growth for this year is forecast to be 1.6%, up from 1.4% previously thought, and for next year, annual growth is expected to be 2.8%, rather than the 2.5% it predicted in August.

The report said: "In the United Kingdom, recovery has finally taken hold. The economy is growing robustly as lifting uncertainty and thawing credit conditions start to unlock pent-up demand."

It has given a range of forecasts of when it thinks unemployment could fall to 7%. The most optimistic of these is next year, two years ahead of the time frame it gave in August.

Mecky claims he is paying more personal tax when replying to a comment about how personal allowances have increased reducing peoples tax.

VAT and cost of living do not come into it.

---------- Post added 12-11-2013 at 20:08 ----------

Come on I1L2T3, why are you now ignoring my question? You have defended Mecky's rights not to divulge his financial information, which actually no one had asked for but you fail to answer this impersonal question.

Because I'm not here to answer it. I'm making a point about a group of posters trying to bully somebody into revealing personal information.

Because I'm not here to answer it. I'm making a point about a group of posters trying to bully somebody into revealing personal information.

Not sure it's about disclosing personal ino, though I wouldn't completely rule it out. I reckon their aims are to discredit, get people banned and persuade public opinion to align with their views so it benefits them. Public opinion counts for everything

No one asked for personal information. Why do you insist on saying this when we are all saying the same thing.

I note Mecky himself even disputes this now.

Not sure it's about disclosing personal in[f]o...

I have also asked you a question that is not personal. Why are you refusing to answer this?

---------- Post added 13-11-2013 at 16:40 ----------

Not sure it's about disclosing personal ino, though I wouldn't completely rule it out. I reckon their aims are to discredit, get people banned and persuade public opinion to align with their views so it benefits them. Public opinion counts for everything

Mecky, YOU were the one trying to sway public opinion based on information that has been refuted with evidence. You on the other hand have provided none to back up your claim and are hiding from the questions.

Archived