History of Laycocks

Yes,i do remember your father.He was my Mentor when i first went into the cutter grinders at the tender age of 17.I remember well,the queue up the ramp to the raiway sidings,waiting for him to cut their hair.He was a very tollerant man,if i did anything wrong,whilst he was teaching me,no shouting or swearing,just a sad shake of his head & lets do it right this time shall we.

Thanks for that Kieth , that does sound about right and I can still remember the shake of the head only too well :)

David

I remember that he absolutely hated it when the operator or setter was looking over his shoulder when he was working on one of their cutting tools.

He would step back and say "Do you realize that I could be severely burned on the back of my neck from your hot breath ?"

Usually did the trick for Bert. :hihi:

I can just imagine him doing that as well and adding the obligitory tut tut :hihi:

I remember Harold with the sticks , and Sam Marsden , he was a very good friend to my dad in the Fellowship of ex servicemen . Thanks for your memories :thumbsup:

David

When we moved into our house the husband of the old couple next door worked at Laycocks way back with the previous owner of our house and another neighbour. Their names were Sid Hibbard, Carl Evans and Reg Pike. Does anyone remember them?

Its a real shame what happened to Laycocks it was a big concern and kept alot of the local community in work. I remember passing the red brick building on my way to Millhouses park as a child.

I'm almost certain that Reg Pike was the Secretary of the Sports Club that is or was on Archer Road. I once won the £100.00 lottery and Reg Pike did the presentation. £100.00 was worth a lot then.

( I don't remember what my wife spent it on !!)

Whilst on the subject can Anyone recall if the lock-up Sweet Shop which existed before the Frazier Road Estate was built and was next to the Sports Club, was in fact part of the Sports Club?

I think the lock up sweet shop on Fraser Road survived the fraser estate been built i can remember it on the right oposite the sports club at the bottom just past where the car showroom is now it was where the new houses are now

During the time I first worked at Laycocks when the DANA Clutch and Hausserman(?) Clutch were being developed, (A shifts Production then was : 16 DANA.(Tractor) and 12 Hausserman(?)(Car & Van) Clutches then, if we were lucky). Every Diaphapm Spring was tested, inspected and recorded and my Stamp (L5) went on everyone.

That made sure that if they came back, I joined them in the scrap!!.

I did know that the lock up sweet shop was open when the Fraser Estate was started and a lane also ran to some Allotments which eventually Laycock Engineering built on for their Garage Equipment site. (Camping Lane?).

If the Shop was owned by, was part of the Laycock Sports Club or what happened to it I've often pondered.

I left 120 Archer Road to live at Beauchief in 1965 when Ken Morgan, Financial Correspondent, Sheffield Morning Telegraph stood for Beauchief Ward as the Candidate for the Labour Party.

• 2 weeks later...

I joined Laycock as an "Apprentice" in 1964 and met a band of miscreants and vagabonds who eventually welded into a skilled finely honed team of engineers, spending months at work and college.

In the training school was Larry Lambert, ? Woods, Jack Skelcy, Ted Hall, a great bunch of guys.

Unfortunately I cannot recall the names of my fellow apprentices who suffered the casting shop and clutch department.

Does anybody else recall this time. ????

Duffems.

I joined Laycock as an "Apprentice" in 1964 and met a band of miscreants and vagabonds who eventually welded into a skilled finely honed team of engineers, spending months at work and college.

In the training school was Larry Lambert, ? Woods, Jack Skelcy, Ted Hall, a great bunch of guys.

Unfortunately I cannot recall the names of my fellow apprentices who suffered the casting shop and clutch department.

Duffems.

Larry Lambert was the Personnel Officer when I worked there in the early to mid 1970s. He was a true 'company man', very anti-union, and best described as a complete a******e, just like the (most of) rest of the management. Jack Skelcey was, at that time, in charge of the apprentice training scheme and he was alright.

Anyone remember Jack Forshaw (Chief Safety Officer), Joe Fletcher (Plant Engineer), Stan Skermer (Head of Security), Brian Pearson (Senior Personnel Manager), Walt Elliott (Works Director), George Preskey (Production Director), Trevor Smedley (Works Manager, Archer Rd. Works), George Goode (Manager, Clutch Machine Shop), Stanley Armstrong (Managing Director), all from the abovementioned period.

Duffems.

I think that would be Walter Woods. He was my uncle - see my earlier post in this thread.