History of Laycocks

Does anyone remember my mum, Edna Towers worked as a cleaner in the early 70's, at 'Laycocks Engineering', Archer Road. There were six other cleaners who worked with her at Laycocks. She used to live on Fraser crescent. She has recently passed away, but i would love to contact any of her friends or families who would have worked with her at the time. please contact us with any information you have. thanks Nickjones2406@yahoo.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all

I am trying to trace the company Laycock Engineering Company Limited of Archer Road in Sheffield on behalf of somebody who has fallen ill through asbestos exposure.

Does anybody know what the company is now called/what its last known name was? I don't believe it is/was still called Laycock Engineering Company Limited.

Also does anybody know where asbestos may have been located there?

• 1 month later...
Joe Winter worked at the overdrive factory on Little London Road and started the Overdrive repair business.

And my father Ernie Garbutt worked in the overdrive department and started the Overdrive Spares business based in Rugby - odspares.com. Sadly, he passed away last year, but I would love to hear from anyone who remembers him.

Quick note on the Laycock family in the General Cemetery.

There are three burials, and yes it is the engineering family. We have just had someone in who lives in their old house up Stumperlowe, and came in to see the memorials.

Over the years the volunteers have built up quite an archive of material on many of the burials in the cemetery. We've got photographs of Laycock family members and of the house, and obituaries from the Telegraph.

Call the Gatehouse office weekdays on 268 3486 if you want to see them.

I worked at Laycocks from 1977 until really the present day, but under a different company name.

I have many memorys of Laycocks and the people who worked there and there are too many to mention as when i came out of my apprenticeship i worked in the Method Engineers (Super Setters) and worked at all 3 factories.

I also have many memories of the Laycocks fishing club, i started to go on the trips in1978 when 2 coaches used to go, it was organized by Joe Winter and Tommy Blackwell and Charlie Midson used to help out.

I still work with quite a few of the old Laycocks workers but will not say who they are as i respect there privacy.

I also have quite a few of the old Laycocks magazines of which most were from before my time.

We still have chats about the old Laycocks days and they will always be with me.

My uncle used to be a member of the fishing club, his name was Jud Whitead

• 1 month later...