History of Laycocks

I worked at Laycock's in the Cutter Grind Department from 1959 until about 1965. The boss was a guy named Maurice Rogers. He didn't smoke.drink or swear but never tried to impose his beliefs on anyone else. He was a pefect gentleman and an all round nice guy. Don't know whether he's still around or not.

There used to be two guys who worked in the stores, Lou and Ron. who both had one arm missing. They used to delight in getting us younger persons trapped between their stumps. You couldn't move too far when they did that. All in good fun then but would probably be frowned upon nowadays.

Maurice Rogers was my great uncle. I too remember him as being a real gentleman. His passionate hobby was photography and we have loads of family photos taken by him, including my wedding photos which he did as a wedding present. He passed away in 1982.

Maurice Rogers was my great uncle. I too remember him as being a real gentleman. His passionate hobby was photography and we have loads of family photos taken by him, including my wedding photos which he did as a wedding present. He passed away in 1982.

Sorry to hear about his passing but I should have realized,I guess.

How old was he when he died ?

Think he used to live in the Woodseats area and walked to work.

We used to maintain that having him for a boss was like having extra money in the pay envelope.

Don't know a single soul who had a bad word about him.

May he rest in peace and thank you for the post.

P.S. welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about his passing but I should have realized,I guess.

How old was he when he died ?

Think he used to live in the Woodseats area and walked to work.

We used to maintain that having him for a boss was like having extra money in the pay envelope.

Don't know a single soul who had a bad word about him.

May he rest in peace and thank you for the post.

P.S. welcome to the forum.

Yes, he did live in Woodseats. Nice to hear such good things about him. He was 75 when he died.

• 4 months later...

My first "brush" with Laycocks was about 1959,when playing with a group(Ricki and the Rebels) played in the sports club at one of their saturday night gigs,little realising that Laycocks would play a major part in my life later.

I started to work at Laycocks in ealy1966 in the foundry waiting for the new foundry on Little London Rd. to open, when I was to be employed in the laboratory.

Ted Godber was the divisional manager,when George Preskey was made up to director status.

Dr.Brian Sheehy was made company metallurgist and thought he was bigger than the job.

During my employment I became a member of the sports club committee along with the then secreatary Don Patterson and other members included Bill Turney,George Goode,Colin Wragg,Harold Bidwell,Joe Fletcher,Malcolm Harper,Walt Elliott and Ray Gillott.Apologies to anyone forgotten.

I played piano in a trio on saturday nights,and solo on sundays.

On one of these saturday nights,Sally Tomlinson....the lady with the overalls,put in an appearance with her husband and daughter.

I finished up marrying her daughter,and leaving Laycocks to go to Shardlows in 1975.

Hi GERRY- was Ken Sharp an inspector of sorts (checked manufactured pieces for accuracy)? I remember Ted Hall, Ron Bestall, Ken Randle, Albert(?) Pashley, Cyril Cussack(?) Foreman, Les Whitehead, Herbert Kitcheman Manager, Mick Patterson, Dennis Cook.

Hi Mobile,

Know your father very well.Worked there at the same time I'm sure he'll remember Geoff Bolton,Graham Wharton,Earnest Townsend,Billy Rotherham who I'm sorry to say passed away lasy year.

Tell him Stan wishes to be remembered to him.