History of Laycocks

I have been reading with great interest about Laycocks and Jacobs as my dad worked at both these places. Sadly, he went to work on 3rd December 1984 and died of a massive heart attack, he never even had time to take his coat off. It was a massive shock for all who loved him. His name is Tom Collins(pops) and I would like to know if anyone out there remembers him.

Thanks

Edited by molly's mum
Forgot to put name of person in question

tell mr north to put his micrometers away and stop rushing around the factory at a fast pace. ask him if he remembers mr grayson from the other insp dept as i worked with him. also i worked at jacobs after that. did john have black hair if i remember.

Hi

I know this post was a few years ago but my Dad is John North, he doesn't go on the internet very much but if you want me to pass on any messages i would be happy to do so.

Louise, I remember John North from working at both Laycock and Jacobs, he will probably rememember me, without giving my full name away on the forum my user name is a massive clue and I worked in the toolroom at both companies. Give him my regards and Up the Owls :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
michael w do you remember twiggy who was chargehand and nigel with the beard.

burger, I do indeed remember Twiggy (RIP) and Nigel with or without his beard :thumbsup:

Oh and give my regards to Keith, Juliecumbria, I know him from my time at Jacobs.

Edited by Michael_W

Can any of you remember Keith Hilton or John (polly) Styring who worked in the clutch assembly as tool setters? ;)

I am Keith Hilton and worked at Laycocks Archer road site from 1966, when I served my apprenticeship, until 1977. I then went to work at Gordon Tools on Rockingham street until it closed in 1980. From there I returned to Archer Road to work at Jacobs until it closed in 2002.

I now live and work in the Lake District.

I return to Sheffield every 4 weeks to visit relatives and play golf for the Ross & Catherall golf society.

I have very fond memories of Laycocks and the people who worked there

• 2 weeks later...

I worked at Guylees in the early seventies, but was made redundant after just a year or so. I didn't know at the time but they did me a big favour as I went on to a much better job where I stayed for 23 years.

Is Guylees still there? If I remember right the entrance was down a slope off Abbeydale Rd. Is that right?

I have a photo of several of the office girls sat on the wall during the lunch break ( all mini skirts and long legs swinging!)

I worked at Guylees in the early seventies, but was made redundant after just a year or so. I didn't know at the time but they did me a big favour as I went on to a much better job where I stayed for 23 years.

Is Guylees still there? If I remember right the entrance was down a slope off Abbeydale Rd. Is that right?

I have a photo of several of the office girls sat on the wall during the lunch break ( all mini skirts and long legs swinging!)

Guylees, or Jacobs Manufacturing as it was called in more recent times was/is at the bottom of Troutbeck Road (the slope off Abbeydale Rd) near the big Tesco, Minimo. The remains of the factory are still there, derelict and 'graffitied', as depicted in some photos I found on Flickr or a similar site. If I find the link I will post it :thumbsup: