History of Laycocks

Remember Bert once telling me about being in Norway during the 2nd world war, he said he and two other guys were sent to guard a cross roads with one of those anti tank rifles,

Any way the officer in charge forgot about them and when the next morning he remembered and sent someone to fetch them they thought they were all dead but luckily the Parson saw Bert move, He said he was very lucky that day....

Yes M.W there did seem to be more characters in those days maybe it was the fact they grew up in a different era,and looking back I worked with guys who were in the first world war the 2nd and Korea,Suez and many more places, or was it just the fact we were younger then, I'm not sure....

Oh and how could I forget, National Service !!!....

Edited by grinder
add ons

hi jackie palmer

i remember you and anna,chris,geff,pete clark very well you may remember the nick name but you should deffinetly remember 44 bingham park rd.

for the others using this site i worked at laycocks from sept 1965 to may 1970 starting in the training center and ending up in the die shop on little london rd my foreman and later manager there was george cocker, those were the days

best regards to anybody who remebers me ian barrow

• 1 month later...

hiya grinder some more names from the clutch in the big shop, remember, mac, fitter,john ?fitter,charlie ness,gordon howarth,arthur murphy.(spied arthur today at crystal peaks,28/4/09) big ron and his brother,in joiners,colin taylor(red barrel)john turner,bob egginton, alf ecklid,john mcandilass(candy),tony palermo,brian reece,stuart hoyland,pete dignam,arthur pryor,steve musto,,pete gregory,chris pennington,geoff dungworth,,bill grace (tool room)phil gray,lew brunt,dennis compton,jim rawlins,dennis brookes,albert nash,(tool room).mick suter,mick spivey, brian carruthers,jimmy dunne,albert gillott (storeman) MICK ATKIN still see him odd times at morrisons.

Edited by willybite

Hi Willy.

Some good old boys there.

I remember once on nights when Sam Marsden was Foreman, he went down into the Boiler House and found the Boilerman and a new guy fast asleep,

In his own calm and quiet way ;) Sam asked what they thought they were doing " I'm showing him the job" said the Boilerman !!!!

Took Sam quite a while to get over that one ...:hihi:

My Dad worked at Laycocks, I think Archer Rd, I was about 8 or so, so this would have been around 1955 onwards, his name was Henry(Harry) Styring . I remember the parties well , I can recall getting the pressie from Santa, often an annual and the noise !!

I remember a bloke called John Styring who worked at Laycock while I was there but this was late 70s to late 80s, could they be related ?

My Grandad used to work at Laycocks some years ago now (he is 74/75 now)

His name is Peter Chambers, and originally from Shropshire.

Will get the exact years he worked there when I can!

i remember your grandfather very well, he was working at laycock's when i started there on 4 june 1964, he worked on the cover assembly, he worked alongside george (jud) whitehead,on the other shift were jack thompson and brian kelly.i remember he left laycock's sometime in 1973 if you go to one of the earlier letters there are some other names inc your grandfather he may or may not remember me my name is bill white.

Edited by willybite

hiya i have an old sheffield street directory dated 1895and have been looking at the laycock name namely w,s laycock,i suppose the address below was where the name victoria works on archer rd came from

laycock samuel & sons limited manufacturers of hair-seating & curled hair & dressers of brushmaker's materials, 203 portobello street,owlerton works;& crewkerne, somerset & lavenham,suffolk. london warehouse,62 basinghall street t/n 908

t.a "laycock,sheffield" "laycock,london"

laycock charles a (samuel & sons limited) home woodside 396 fulwood road.

mrs laycock stumperlowe grange

laycock ws (samuel & sons limited):government & railway stores contractor & manufacturer of railway carriage fittings &c. leavygreave road & victoria street works, victoria street. t.a invention, sheffield.; t.n 907; & london; home oakbrook, fulwood road t.n 906

some of the near neighbours on fulwood road and nearby roads at the time were,

woof thomas g (cabinet maker)

marples john (wine and spirit merchant)

colver robert ( steel manufacturer)

bedford william b(file manufacturer)

firth edward (steel manufacturer)

mappin sir frederick j.p

mappin frank j.p

wilson george k (snuff manufacturer)

hadfield robert a (steel manufacturer)

flather wm thos (steel manufacturer)

jonas joseph (steel manufacturer)

kayser charles wm (steel manufacturer)

cole robert thomas (draper)

harrison francis (cutlery manufacturer)..

Edited by willybite
error

hiya i remember the name albert smith from when i started at laycocks in 1964 i remember he was an inspector in the foundry. also keith heppenstall convenor around the thirteen week strike time 1973. does anybody remember abdul jabbar he was made redundant and three months later he came to ask for his job back.

Edited by willybite