History of Laycocks

Hi Willybite.

If you remember there was always a number of guys off the building sites, they came in for the Winter but a soon a the sun shone they were off.

Also when I first started we had quite a few who came after finishing National service..

Think at one time when all four factories were working we got up to about 3,000 +

I had been moved down to Little London when it finaly folded, think, including office staff, there was just over a hundred of us...

Lived on the Arbourthorne, and down Heeley,we called them Winter Warmers.

Think I must have had mine on the Arbourthorne....

hiya grinder did you ever go on the fishing trips in the 60s they were a laugn i remember one time it was a trip to march in cambridgeshire we set off 6.30 on the dot from archer rd finally it was 6.45, down to king st 7.15 then up to occupation lane, by the time we set off it made a mockery of a time-table. we finally got to march but nobody knew the exact place we should be. there were two coaches and we were both going the same way but on different sides of the river, we managed to get started, after a quarter of an hour, the heavens opened, i've never seen it rain so hard for so long,i had five fish in my keepnet all caught in the first 15 minutes one bloke came past he was holding an umbrella that was in shreds, the rain was so heavy, that was arthur slynn, joe elliot had bought a new fibre glass rod that charlie midson had made for him but on the first cast it snapped in two joe hung it on the wall in the shop with a note to say what had happend and where he'd bought it. i finished joint third in the match with 6 oz.a different bit of info i didn't know that one of my g.g grandfathers came from march he had an unusual christian name it was wakefield there were two in our family with the same name, sorry just a passing thought, saw it on genes reunited. small world innit

Edited by willybite

Hi Will.

Never a big Fisherman really, though that all rings a bell. Only ever remember going on one match with Laycocks and it being my first ever match.

Can't remember where it was but remember we had a long walk to the pegs across about three fields.

My peg had a sheer drop of at least 4ft to the water,the river was wide and fast and it rained all day, half of the lads were only waiting for the pub to open.

Got one bite, nearly fell in trying to get the keep net in the water, dropped the rod and lost the fish !!! Happy days.

Can't remember going again but went to the ponds a few times when I was on nights, nice place but keep your sandwiches in your basket..

John Styring Jim Carlton and Mick Atkin put a lot of work in there I believe..

Edited by grinder

Sparra

How would I not remember you.

So many years have passed by.

They were such happy days.

Do you remember the time you came to work in a pair of skin tight, yellow, flared trousers.. I cannot remember what happened but it was funny.

We had great times in the Sports club didn't we?

I remember Bingham Park Road and your green mini Cooper.

Last I knew of you you had moved down South and got married.

I now live in Worksop.

If you want to let me know your email. I am on holiday until July but I will look as soon as I get back.

Jackie

Willybite

I have seen you around and about on the odd occasion but I don't think you will remember me, I used to work in the Method Engineers with Keith Godson RIP, Harry Jackson RIP, Derick Hall RIP and Simon Garside, I still see quite a few people who worked at Laycocks and one who you may know (still does not work though) :D Pete Morton, I also saw Richard (Robo) Robinson the other week.

One name others may remember that I still see quite regular Mick Woodward, there were two MWs and I mean the older one who was and is still is as funny as always, he used to work on the Cast iron section then moved to Little London Road. I also see John Styring, Jim Carlton (still fishing mad), Andy Sen, Andy Wragg, Andy Starbuck and a few more.

Willybite

I have seen you around and about on the odd occasion but I don't think you will remember me, I used to work in the Method Engineers with Keith Godson RIP, Harry Jackson RIP, Derick Hall RIP and Simon Garside, I still see quite a few people who worked at Laycocks and one who you may know (still does not work though) :D Pete Morton, I also saw Richard (Robo) Robinson the other week.

One name others may remember that I still see quite regular Mick Woodward, there were two MWs and I mean the older one who was and is still is as funny as always, he used to work on the Cast iron section then moved to Little London Road. I also see John Styring, Jim Carlton (still fishing mad), Andy Sen, Andy Wragg, Andy Starbuck and a few more.

I know the younger one, smashing kid him, one of the best :wink:

:thumbsup:

I know the younger one, smashing kid him, one of the best :wink:

:thumbsup:

You are right with the smashing kid and you say one of the best, well he has to be as he beat me to the apprentice of the year in 1981 I think it was, as far as young is concerned then he will be an old bugger now :D (dam, I'm the same age) :o

Roy Shearman retired last year and was still going strong.

Hope your still keeping well Michael W

You are right with the smashing kid and you say one of the best, well he has to be as he beat me to the apprentice of the year in 1981 I think it was, as far as young is concerned then he will be an old bugger now :D (dam, I'm the same age) :o

Roy Shearman retired last year and was still going strong.

Hope your still keeping well Michael W

I'm well thanks Kevin D, hope you are too mate :thumbsup:

I remember Roy and the bearded Mr Ford, do you remember the others in the training centre with us back in 77/78 ?

Messrs. Carr, Wragg, Suter and Hussain...oh and Oldfield (briefly), not a bad memory eh !

Can't remember things I did yesterday mind, must be that old age creepin up :wink:

Edited by Michael_W

I have the same type of memory as you.

I remember the good old days in the training centre like they were yesterday, things have changed a lot since then, I still look over photos of Laycocks now and again to bring back those memories.

I'm fine thanks Michael, still working and still working on early retirement too.

• 1 month later...

Just found this site this week AND ARE WONDERING IF THIS HISTORY WAS EVER WRITTEN IF SO CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WERE TO GET A COPY

WANTED FOR A DEAR FRIEND OF MINE WHO I AM IN TOUCH WITH AND IS MENTIONED ON THREAD MR SAM MARSDEN STILL GOING STRONG AT 90 THIS MONTH

I WAS WITH HIM THIS WEEK AND WAS VERY INTERESTED IN THIS ITEM