History of Laycocks

I worked at Laycocks from Jan.47 to dec. 50. Two years on the shop floor, in center lathes, gear cutters, automatic lathes, inspection dept, etc. and then two years in the design office, before emmigrating to Canada.

I well remember Laurie lambert as Foreman of the Gear shop, the best Foreman I worked for, a prince of a man. Don't remember any other names from the shop floor, but do remember Lightowler, Hough. and others from the Design office.

John hatch.

Only just come across this section. It's a long shot but my brother started there, say 1940 until 1944, then called up. Name, Len Gilpin, worked as a fitter, 6'6 lanky kid, ginger hair, now 86. He started at Laycocks when he was 17, after doing a Government training course at West-Bar?. Probably others followed this route. Like to say that his work experience there started him off on a long engineering career.

Edited by JOGI

I vaguely remember a good natured, tall red headed guy, but could it be Len ? Did he return to Laycocks after his army service?

I was deferred from National Service, year by year, as I was going to night school at Central Tech. and at the University, three nights a week to get the National Certificate of Mechanical Engineering. Then at 21 I emmigrated to Canada.

John Hatch.

I remember abdullah kahn he was a big bugger strong as an ox when I worked with the lads on the clutch press assembly we used to tease him something rotten, we were mad though. the lads I worked with were a great laugh, you never got bored. Anyone remember Pete Birkin I had some laughs with Pete! Hope hes still alive would love to meet him again. I worked at Laycock from about 1971 to about 1987 and worked at all three factories, finished as a welder in Camping Lane. Played snooker and went fishing with John Styring for a few years, used to share our match winnings at fishing, did quite well. They were a good bunch of blokes at Laycocks and you were never short of a laugh. My mother worked there during the war. My brother did his apprentiship there and my uncle was a foreman. His name was Reg Pogmore.

Edited by swblandy

Thanks John for your reply(didnt really expect any at all). Really, it looks as though there's a big age difference between you two. In 1940, he was 17; and started at Laycocks then. Did they make aircraft engines?. He was deffered from then until he was 21 and then called up and went in R.E.M.E's. He did most of his time in their workshops in Palestine until de-mob in Nov 47. Not sure if he then returned to Laycocks. He is the most practical man i've met and i've always been interested in his engineering stories. Would like to hear about where life took you to. All the best, John.

After coming across this site yesterday, I've realised that it wll be of immense interest to my brother, who left Sheffield 50 years ago and is always on about it. He's unaware of this forum and when I tell him about Laycocks, he'll be chuffed to read all you memories. So thanks very much everybody.

I'm almost certain that Reg Pike was the Secretary of the Sports Club that is or was on Archer Road. I once won the £100.00 lottery and Reg Pike did the presentation. £100.00 was worth a lot then.

( I don't remember what my wife spent it on !!)

Whilst on the subject can Anyone recall if the lock-up Sweet Shop which existed before the Frazier Road Estate was built and was next to the Sports Club, was in fact part of the Sports Club?

I can remember buying sweets there when we were kids. It was on a dirt path opposite the sports club and led up to a load of allotments. Where the Sheaf pub stands was a clay pit where we got the clay for our touchy burners. All fields then right up to what is now the Crem.

used to play snooker with Ray Gillot and John Styring every saturday morning in the sports club. always used to get in early before the bar opened and then stay all afternoon (hic!). Ron Pilkington played, he was a good player. We had a good team at one bit.