History of Laycocks

At it's peak Laycock Eng. had a total work force of two to three thousand, working at four factories, two at Millhouses and two on Little London road..

(and they wonder why there aren't many job around now)

Add to this shift work which meant you very rarely mixed with the people on the opposite shift and you can see how you could easily work for years at the same Factory, at the same time as some one and only be on nodding terms....

Edited by grinder

• 1 month later...
Sorry to hear about Sam and Morris I also hear Mick Drayton past away a short while ago.

I can remember Mick from way back in the days of the Saturday ROCK & ROLL nights at the Sports club in the Fifties..

Doesn't Time fly....

hiya i remembe sam also his brother charlie who worked in the hub shop,also maurice starbuck the setter, i met with him last year, or the year before at the hallamshire hospital, didn't recognise him until we got out of the ambulance it was when he was saying about his cars to the driver, when i saId hello maurice he then asked who i was as he could not see very good.

Edited by willybite

hiya i remembe sam also his brother charlie who worked in the hub shop,also maurice starbuck the setter, i met with him last year, or the year before at the hallamshire hospital, didn't recognise him until we got out of the amulance it was when he was saying about his cars to the driver, when i saId hello maurice he then asked who i was as he could not see very good.

Maurice lived just up the road from me and I always saw him standing outside at his gate, his eyes and legs were giving him problems. He still seemed to be the same bloke that I knew back in 78 when I went on the driven plate line though. I will always remember him as a great genuine bloke who loved his cars, I still see his son now and again.

I remember Maurice Rogers very well. Although very much older than me, he was a freind of my parents, growing up with them back in the 1920s when they all attended Cemetery Road Baptist Church. Maurice was a keen photographer and took the pictures for our wedding back in 1970. His wife died shortly after that and he died some years after but not sure just when. If he was still alive he would be approaching 100! He had, before working at Laycock's, been a tea taster for a Sheffield firm of tea importers whose name escapes me now. Very different from the engineering world!

Maurice lived in Millhouses on Pingle Avenue.

Then he must have moved after his retirement.

Mr Rodgers was my foreman from 1964 up to his retirement, he lived on either Mitchell or Marshall road near the Woodseats Library back then ..