History of Laycocks

Then he must have moved after his retirement.

Mr Rodgers was my foreman from 1964 up to his retirement, he lived on either Mitchell or Marshall road near the Woodseats Library back then ..

Hi Grinder. Quite possible. I moved to Sheffield in 1968 (age 18) though and remember visiting him on Pingle with my parents then. It's the only place I knew he lived at but of course it could be that he'd only recently moved.

Lovely to see so many kind references to him. He was a really nice guy. He gave me a load of photo developing gear as as I was, and still am, also interested in photography.

Maurice lived just up the road from me and I always saw him standing outside at his gate, his eyes and legs were giving him problems. He still seemed to be the same bloke that I knew back in 78 when I went on the driven plate line though. I will always remember him as a great genuine bloke who loved his cars, I still see his son now and again.

that last time i saw maurice starbuck he told me his son andrew came to see him every day, we had a laugh though, i said the reason i didn't recognise him as he had more hair since i knew him at work, as it was long at the back, a really nice bloke,i remember him once telling me of someone saying hello to him and was he still driving his hill climbing car, and he said sorry i don't know you ,then when he was told he was a time keeper at the hill climbs it sank in with him.

kevin you worked on the plate line who did you work with, red barrel's shift or alf ecklid's and bob egginton

Whillywhite GRINDER info for you Some time in the past the name of SAM MARSDEN came up and I know some of you remember him

I have to tell you Sam past away last weekend aged 92

Service at City Rd Mon 6/1/12 !0- 15

hiya harmston i remember you, and sorry to hear of sam's passing.

that last time i saw maurice starbuck he told me his son andrew came to see him every day, we had a laugh though, i said the reason i didn't recognise him as he had more hair since i knew him at work, as it was long at the back, a really nice bloke,i remember him once telling me of someone saying hello to him and was he still driving his hill climbing car, and he said sorry i don't know you ,then when he was told he was a time keeper at the hill climbs it sank in with him.

kevin you worked on the plate line who did you work with, red barrel's shift or alf ecklid's and bob egginton

I don't remember those names. I had just done my first year apprenticeship and the driven plate line with Maurice was my first posting on the shop floor, that's about 33 years ago now, I think the foreman then was Reg Pogmore or Freddie Brooks but can't quite remember.

Maurice sold one of his race cars a few years ago but I think he still kept one of them which Andrew will have now along with a couple of other cars that Maurice collected.

I don't remember those names. I had just done my first year apprenticeship and the driven plate line with Maurice was my first posting on the shop floor, that's about 33 years ago now, I think the foreman then was Reg Pogmore or Freddie Brooks but can't quite remember.

Maurice sold one of his race cars a few years ago but I think he still kept one of them which Andrew will have now along with a couple of other cars that Maurice collected.

hiya you are right the foreman would have been either one, fred passed on some while ago, thats the trouble when you meet somebody from years agoithe first thing thats said is have you heard about so and so well he passed away.

sorry kevin i hadn't read your letter right that you were an apprentice with the first posting on the shop floor, never mind not remembering the names, you didn't miss much ha ha

Edited by willybite

At it's peak Laycock Eng. had a total work force of two to three thousand, working at four factories, two at Millhouses and two on Little London road..

(and they wonder why there aren't many job around now)

Add to this shift work which meant you very rarely mixed with the people on the opposite shift and you can see how you could easily work for years at the same Factory, at the same time as some one and only be on nodding terms....

hiya grinder j i remember one thet started in the clutch m/s many years ago his workmates he worked with said he'd come over from ireland, anyway one shift one of them passed word on that he was on the borrow. i said he won't come to me, i'll show you how to stop him i'll ask him if he's got owt to lend me so if he thinks i'm skint he won't come to me.

Hello Kieth, I wonder if you remember my Father , Bert Crookes ., pictured here on the right with one of his workmates I think (I don't know his name ). He worked in the cutter grinders until 1977.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/crookesmoorlad/DadatLaycocks-1.jpg

hiya ceedee, i have just looked at the photo of your dad bert and jack simpson, that was a very good snap, remember me telling you your dad and mine were in the same class when they were at school, and when he worked at toms hairdressers in charles st many years ago i reckon it was nearly 60 years ago now, i don't know what school it was mine went to st stephens,crooksmoor and western rd

ps when he worked at toms was it a kind of a fill- in job as i recall they had eight barbers at once when they were busy, one that worked at the time was a bernard pitts, his dad worked with my mum at viners,

pps just think bert and my dad would have been 100 years old next month.

hiya ceedee time has come the 6th march tomorrow would have been my dads 100th birthday so will have a tipple tommorow for dad, when he was born he was a 14lb birth ,no wonder his nickname was fats white at school ha ha.

Edited by willybite

Good looking lad though weren't he..:wave:.

Mind you looking at that hair no wonder Bert's laughing , It looks like you weren't the first one to hit him behind the head with a bit of Elastic wheel....:hihi:

Edited by grinder