History of Laycocks

I was so sorry to hear that one of my old mates in the Cutter Grinders at Archer Road Harold Broadhirst died recently..

He was a guy who though life dealt him a cruel blow at birth was always the same and lived life to the full....

Hi

I know this post was a few years ago but my Dad is John North, he doesn't go on the internet very much but if you want me to pass on any messages i would be happy to do so.

Messing about on internet and came upon a name from the past. I was an apprentice with John North along with John Styring in 1963. I retired two years ago and now live in Plymouth.

• 1 month later...
I was so sorry to hear that one of my old mates in the Cutter Grinders at Archer Road Harold Broadhirst died recently..

He was a guy who though life dealt him a cruel blow at birth was always the same and lived life to the full....

hiya grinder, I am sorry to hear of harolds passing he was as you say always the same, I had known him all my life long before laycocks he lived two streets away from me when I was growing up he lived on egerton lane I lived on bath st.

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 21:06 ----------

I was at Laycock's 1977 -1988 and worked at Jacob's manufacturing from 1989 - 2002 (When the Sheffield site closed). Jacobs Manufacturing was under the ownership of the Danaher Corporation back then and Danaher moved production to it's Suzhou factory in China which was built in the mid 90s.

hiya, I was at laycocks for 24 years and remember some that were set on like the one who started on nights as a labourer no one saw him after 10 o'clock it was benny abbot who found him he was fast a sleep in the toilets his excuse was it was his first time on shifts and he was tired, another worked two or three nights and nobody had any record of a new starter, until he said "this is guilee's int'it

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if you know that there is a topic on Laycocks in the History & Expats section with several pages about the firm and people who worked there. I was there in the 60s in the electronics dept.

Go ask on the existing thread instead. The reason is that when you post on a thread you are automatically added for email notices when there's a new post on the thread, so if you post on that then those that have already posted there will get notified and you're more likely to get replies.