Stannington 1960's door-to-door

As a lad growing up in Stannington in the 1960's we used to go knocking door-to-door at this time of year getting pennies for fireworks.

A group of us would knock at a door and sing a little song - and the home owner would give us a few coppers.

I recall it as starting:

Kay-an-ara

If you haven't got a penny then a ha'penny will do,

If you haven't got a ha'penny then God bless you.

Can anyone remember just how the song went?

As a lad growing up in Stannington in the 1960's we used to go knocking door-to-door at this time of year getting pennies for fireworks.

A group of us would knock at a door and sing a little song - and the home owner would give us a few coppers.

I recall it as starting:

Kay-an-ara

If you haven't got a penny then a ha'penny will do,

If you haven't got a ha'penny then God bless you.

Can anyone remember just how the song went?

You are talking about Kaking night! (now hijacked by Halloween night)..............you would dress up in disguise and shout "cake cake copper copper then proceeded by your rhyme" at someones door, and if the householder recognized you you only got a piece of cake!...but if you fooled them you got some copper pennies. Later, competitions were held on Kaking night in the local pubs for the best outfits.They were very popular nights but died out in the late 60s!

The first line I think was ......."hole in mi stockin' hole in mi shoe"

hole in my stockin' hole in my shoe please can you spare me a penny or two, if you aint got a penny an apen'y will do if you aint got an apen'y god bless you.

I think another version was hole in my stocking hole in my shoe please can you spare me a copper or two if you haven't got copper silver will do if you haven't got silver then god bless you.( i think the latter one was for the posher areas:hihi::hihi:

hole in my stockin' hole in my shoe please can you spare me a penny or two, if you aint got a penny an apen'y will do if you aint got an apen'y god bless you.

I think another version was hole in my stocking hole in my shoe please can you spare me a copper or two if you haven't got copper silver will do if you haven't got silver then god bless you.( i think the latter one was for the posher areas:hihi::hihi:

Another version was.........'ole in mi stockin' 'ole in mi shoe, 'ole in mi as* where the sh*t comes through?

Champion, thanks.

C/Kaking Neet - that's right. Shortly after Mischief Night - taking gates off hinges and knocking at doors.

I had some friends who lived in Pitsmoor and they'd tie a string across the street with some slack in it joining door knockers. Knock on one house - they'd open the door, and pull on the knocker of the house across the street - and so on.

At least that's what they told me they did. ;)

---------- Post added 04-11-2013 at 19:33 ----------

Meanwhile - I think our Kaking rhyme had the line:

Please to put a penny in the old man's hat

in it too, somewhere.

Champion, thanks.

C/Kaking Neet - that's right. Shortly after Mischief Night - taking gates off hinges and knocking at doors.

I had some friends who lived in Pitsmoor and they'd tie a string across the street with some slack in it joining door knockers. Knock on one house - they'd open the door, and pull on the knocker of the house across the street - and so on.

At least that's what they told me they did. ;)

---------- Post added 04-11-2013 at 19:33 ----------

Meanwhile - I think our Kaking rhyme had the line:

Please to put a penny in the old man's hat

in it too, somewhere.

We use to sing

Cake cake copper copper cake cake copper copper

please put a penny in the old mans hat

if you havn`t got a penny a 'hay-p'ny' will do

if you havn`t got a 'hay-p'ny' god bless you.

Archived