Recent Immigrants make "net contribution" to finances

David Cameron mentioned today that 40% of new EU arrivals over the last 4 years claim working tax credits at an average £6,000 each.

Considering around 600,000 people from the EU have arrived in that time, 40% of them is c240,000, which totals around £1.44bn. Staggering.

If immigrants didn't claim them,Brits doing those same jobs would claim the same tax credits...........why is the taxpayer subsidising British Business?..........why can't the government introduce a living wage that British Business has to pay without the worker having to rely on subsidies?...........If David Cameron is so bothered,why doesn't he tell British Business to pay a living wage so taxpayers wouldn't be subsidising them and also tell them to stop employing migrants over Brits?..........if nobody gave them jobs they would go back because they couldn;t support themselves.

Does it also take into account the displaced employment of Brits, and the benefits they then subsequently have to claim?

You cna read the study yourself its quite in depth. I was willing to accpet there was a major flaw of expenses not addressed but looking at the study they go into great detail about how they reached their figures.

Well you can read the UCL research study and then assess their contribution in taxes during that period.

The claim is £6,000 per family, not each.

Or you can read,

"The pressure group’s new report said UCL’s conclusions - which were given prominent coverage by the BBC - were “simply wrong”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10693022/Immigrants-cost-Britain-3000-a-year-each-says-report.html

If immigrants didn't claim them,Brits doing those same jobs would claim the same tax credits...........why is the taxpayer subsidising British Business?..........why can't the government introduce a living wage that British Business has to pay without the worker having to rely on subsidies?...........If David Cameron is so bothered,why doesn't he tell British Business to pay a living wage so taxpayers wouldn't be subsidising them and also tell them to stop employing migrants over Brits?..........if nobody gave them jobs they would go back because they couldn;t support themselves.

The government is cutting tax credits and increasing the minimum wage. They are also trying to negotiate with Europe to stop recent immigrants claiming working tax credits. What more can he do exactly?

Seriously???

1. He is doing just that - introducing the living wage whilst cutting back on tax credits. Lots of people (like you) are complaining about it.

2.because we are in the EU we cant tell employers whom to employ

3. If I said I don't employ immigrants, some people would round on me and savage me for discrimination and all sorts of nonsense.

You cna read the study yourself its quite in depth. I was willing to accpet there was a major flaw of expenses not addressed but looking at the study they go into great detail about how they reached their figures.

I can tell you now, it did not look at the effect of displaced employment of Brits who could have taken the same jobs that the EU migrants have taken and are "contributing" from.

Or you can read,

"The pressure group’s new report said UCL’s conclusions - which were given prominent coverage by the BBC - were “simply wrong”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10693022/Immigrants-cost-Britain-3000-a-year-each-says-report.html

Well ibe read the link. I guess its in duspute and await to see what the response of UCL is.

At the bottom of your article it states :

Prof Dustmann rebutted MigrationWatch's criticisms of the original report.

"The report is written in a derogatory language seemingly attempting to undermine our reputation with suggestions that we do not adequately describe our methodology or comment on all our results. We are in fact very open about our methodology - which has been acknowledged even by earlier critics of our work," he said.

"Their strongly worded criticism is all the more surprising as the MigrationWatch report is based on a substantial amount of guesswork, does not provide clear indication of how their figures are computed, and is at times sloppy or simply wrong."

I cant compare figures v figures, but the methodology seems pretty detailed and transparent. Will have to wait and see a more detailed response.

In using the same xenophobic logic that is displayed in this thread. Can we not kick out the soon to be unemployed steelworkers who will now be a drain on the welfare state?

Some will pay more than their fair share in taxes because they can afford to and some will not. It is the same for everyone. We cannot just mandate all immigrants must be net contributors. It is unreasonable as we cannot guarantee this condition on ourselves.

In using the same xenophobic logic that is displayed in this thread. Can we not kick out the soon to be unemployed steelworkers who will now be a drain on the welfare state?

Some will pay more than their fair share in taxes because they can afford to and some will not. It is the same for everyone. We cannot just mandate all immigrants must be net contributors. It is unreasonable as we cannot guarantee this condition on ourselves.

Or we could employ the steelworkers to do the jobs that are currently being done by the immigrants, rather than pay them the dole? Just a thought. Thank you for proving the point made earlier by ...?

Well ibe read the link. I guess its in duspute and await to see what the response of UCL is.

At the bottom of your article it states :

I cant compare figures v figures, but the methodology seems pretty detailed and transparent. Will have to wait and see a more detailed response.

Dustman was the bloke who said between 5 and 13,000 migrants would arrive, a million turned up, bet he broke his abacus after that boo boo.