Who paid for India's Mars Rocket?

To put things in perspective, 45 million is about one and a half times as much as the Don Valley Stadium cost to build ... just to enable a few students to run/jump around in circles and chuck things as far as possible. A stadium which has now been scrapped due to local cutbacks by our lovely Council.

Just think where Sheffield would stand in the 'cool points' scale if we'd sent a rocket to Mars instead.

To put things in perspective, 45 million is about one and a half times as much as the Don Valley Stadium cost to build ... just to enable a few students to run/jump around in circles and chuck things as far as possible. A stadium which has now been scrapped due to local cutbacks by our lovely Council.

Just think where Sheffield would stand in the 'cool points' scale if we'd sent a rocket to Mars instead.

Why compare something built in the UK with India? Average salaries in India are 25 times less than that in the UK, so you cannot accurately make such a comparison.

The (real) poverty line in India is 60 rupees a day. That works out as approx 0.62p per day in British money. £161 per year would mean these people are no longer on the poverty line and that equates to 277,777 people taken out of poverty for 1 year. I'm sure to these people no longer living hand to mouth, this would be much more than a drop in the ocean.

What absolute nonsense. So would you rather the tax payer spend money on a space ship for India or a school?

What absolute nonsense. So would you rather the tax payer spend money on a space ship for India or a school?

Spaceship option for me if you mean 'a school' in Britain.

I'd prefer my money being spent to help a nation emerge from poverty rather than just to send the next generation of Chantelles, Dwights, Tiffneys and Waynes to a holding pen for their formative years, until they're old enough to go to prison. I'm pretty certain one more school won't help.

If you mean building 'a school' in India, I'm fairly sure that as an emerging nation in space technology, India will be able to afford to build their own schools if their Mars mission is successful. Space technology is big business ... the world will be in a much better place.

---------- Post added 05-11-2013 at 11:51 ----------

Helen Sharman? Ironically the same person who set fire to the carpet in said stadium!

There must be some kind of hidden message here ... perhaps God does exist!?

Archived