Living Wage Debate

There has been lots of talk recently about employers not paying enough to meet the modern limits of inflation.

There has been call to introduce a living wage in to law and replace the existing national minimum wage with that.

Our current national minimum wage is around £6 per how, but a lot of employers even fail to pay that.

So some have been saying a living wage should be over £7, even £9, but I say the national minimum wage should be a flat £10 per hour.

This would easily meet the modern world, with ever increasing taxes and prices and if the economy will need to grow, at least people will have the money to spend on things instead of £6 being chicken feed and just having enough to scrape by every month. Also, what about people on commission or receive tips as part of their job, should they give that back so they are in line with everyone else, is that fair?

So, what do you think or suggest on this subject?

Edited by BEDROCK

There has been lots of talk recently about employers not paying enough to meet the modern limits of inflation.

There has been call to introduce a living wage in to law and replace the existing national minimum wage with that.

Our current national minimum wage is around £6 per how, but a lot of employers even fail to pay that.

So some have been saying a living wage should be over £7, even £9, but I say the national minimum wage should be a flat £10 per hour.

This would easily meet the modern world, with ever increasing taxes and prices and if the economy will need to grow, at least people will have the money to spend on things instead of £6 being chicken feed and just having enough to scrape by every month. Also, what about people on commission or receive tips as part of their job, should they give that back so they are in line with everyone else, is that fair?

When everyone is paid a tenner an hour will you be happy to pay the higher prices that will come from there being more money in the system...what about the people who have studied to get a better than minimum wage paying job.. will they be expected to be content with earning the same as someone who hasn't done the same..do you think salary differentials should be abolished? Genuine questions...

...... but I say the national minimum wage should be a flat £10 per hour.

I think its mad. You are really saying that the national minimum wage for completely unskilled, service roles or apprentice labour should be equivalent of nearly £20k a year???

Ok, so that means that semi-skilled labour will be seeking at least £15 an hour so that's around £29k a year for every secretary, administrator, office clerk, first line support, payroll, accounts clerk, operator, booker etc....

Skilled trades would have to be upped to at least £20 an hour with supervisors and team leaders getting the same to make their jobs worth doing so that's just under £40,000 a year for them.

Junior management would then of course be demanding at least £25 an hour so all junior management/small store managers/team managers would be looking at around £50k

BOOM! We are already in 50% tax bracket for some people and we are have not even covered qualified professionals, accountants, lawyers, nurses, hgv drivers, train drivers, treatment practicioners, junior doctors, qualified doctors, senior management, executives..... Where would this end.

..Can you see where im going with this. What knock on effect would happen to cost of living, burden of payroll to smaller companies, profits, affect on lifestyles.

Rise one and you have to rise them all. Nobody currently earning £10-15 an hour doing a skiled job or even a supervisory job will be content having their lowest level staff on the same as them. Therefore they will demand a rise, and so on and so on.

Edited by ECCOnoob

what about the people who have studied to get a better than minimum wage paying job.. will they be expected to be content with earning the same as someone who hasn't done the same..do you think salary differentials should be abolished? Genuine questions...

That's what was on my mind too. My IT technician is on around the "living wage", but what incentive is there for him to do the job when he can get the same salary for less work and effort. Although you could argue job satisfaction and challenges to prevent boredom could be his incentive.

I don't think you have a degree in economics.