Benefit cap of £500pw loses legal challenge

WeX

I would love to live in Knightsbridge, but I cant afford it, so I don't. Why does this women have the right to demand to live where she obviously cannot afford to, paid for by the tax payer?

I agree, I don't think people should be able to live where they can't afford to but as I know very little about benefits and the amounts received I just figured the £500 benefit cap would mean many people will be forced to move.

I agree, I don't think people should be able to live where they can't afford to but as I know very little about benefits and the amounts received I just figured the £500 benefit cap would mean many people will be forced to move.

My Grand parents on my fathers side upped and left Glasgow and moved south to better their life and to find work. My Grandfather walked the entire way, he secured a job and brought down his family.

Times have changed and I'm afraid people have got lazy

My Grand parents on my fathers side upped and left Glasgow and moved south to better their life and to find work. My Grandfather walked the entire way, he secured a job and brought down his family.

It's not laziness. People with families need to feel secure and find a place to settle for schooling and to be close to family. Many understandable reasons.

I lost my (local) job in October 2003, and was blackballed in the UK. Eventually I found another job in Ireland starting in March 2004, rented a 'chalet' there at the end of a garden for the 1st 3 months, came back to the UK in late June (with agreement to work from home for the duration) to be with my Mrs when she gave birth in early July, then moved to Ireland permanently with the Mrs and our 4 week-old daughter in mid-August. That was 2004.

No benefits whatsoever between October 2003 and March 2004. The prospective employer was good enough to pay for my return flight on the interview day, but I had to make my own way to/from the airports. And battle Everests of red tape (with the DWP or Job Centre or whatever it was, even though not entitled to owt) about my leaving the country for a day to attend the interview.

People may have become more lazy...or, more prosaically, too assisted and system-dependent for their own good.

or, more prosaically, too assisted and system-dependent for their own good.

I think that's more like the truth.. No matter what your political persuasion I think it's difficult to deny the swelling of the welfare state during 13 years of Labour government..it grew from around 57billion in 2001 to 110 billion in 2010..

It's not laziness. People with families need to feel secure and find a place to settle for schooling and to be close to family. Many understandable reasons.

That's an excuse. People all over the planet move around for work to better their lives. There is no harm in it. I did it. I live away from my parents and brothers. I did it to better my circumstances and it worked. I didn't sit on my arse and demand everything comes to my front door.

People with families need to feel secure and find a place to settle for schooling and to be close to family.
I come from a long line of economical migrants, and can vouch that these are life luxuries. As such, they need to be earned. Noone has a "right" to them, no more than they have a "right" to a (relatively-) high-paying job to provide and sustain them.

If that means moving elsewhere, and away from the rest of the family/friends/'network', then that's what it takes.

For the last 20 years, in any given year, on average I see my (side of the-) family (parents, brother) twice, a week at a time. Some years a week or two more, if they come visit us here.

There are many people who couldn't cope with that lifestyle having to move around, family far away. But the big difference is property ownership. When you've owned property for a few years you have choices when the goal posts are moved, you can adapt for the better. Those on benefits already located and settled in parts of London have just suddenly been hit with a big sledge hammer. I'm not sure that's a caring government.

Archived