Benefit cap of £500pw loses legal challenge

WeX

I don't think it's entirely accurate to compare £500/wk benefits to 35K income as a large part of the beneifts are paid as housing benefit. This means that the benefits family's income after rent is the same regardless of the rent paid (provided they don't have to top it up themselves which will mean they have less) whereas a working family on 35K can increase their income after rent by moving into cheaper accommodation.

jb

If a recipients HB is reduced wouldn't that give them more "headroom" for other benefits?

Well they won't stand much of a chance or feel part of society if they grow up with the vivid memory of when the government destroyed their childhood by forcing their family out of their home, losing all their friends and other close family members, enthusiastically cheered on by society. Have a heart Zamo. Show some love, not hate.

No, they'll have to muck along with all the other kids who's family income is £35k...I don't think there'll be many...people on 35k have a higher income than about 65% of the country..

If they're children it's very unlikely they'll know what 'the government' is or will blame it.

Of course they will, their parents will teach them and be very vocal about why they are having to leave their home. You don't forget things like that. I know I didn't.

If you're stupid enough to have ten kids on the dole then you deserve whatever you get.

You say the kids shouldn't suffer for their parents mistakes, but if they don't then we'll be overrun with lazy breeding scum in a few generations.

Having kids is hard work, having kids while you're out of work is reckless and stupid.

I don't believe in punishing kids but get your drift though, that said it is our Benefits system that is a fault. They should have said years ago, if you go on benefits with (x number) of kids, we will only pay for how many there are at start of claim.

The system has encouraged this stupidity, they should have said we will not pay for any additional children, on top of that up to end of March people had Crisis Loans & Community Care Grants to try for both now gone.

I speak probably with a greater authority than most on both these on this forum, and trust me they were abused to the max.

Don't forget they used to pay £500.00 for every kid born, so that's encouraging them to have more, now it's only 1st born. The problems was proving they were lying and when no physical contact, the law decided that the client had to be be believed, unless you could prove reasonable doubt, mind you most of them tripped themselves up.

As soon as Crisis Loans went to a phone service it was ripe for being screwed, or trying to screw it.

If a recipients HB is reduced wouldn't that give them more "headroom" for other benefits?

Not really. Income support is fixed, child benefit is fixed. I guess they could get more council tax benefit but that's hardly going to put more money in their pocket. What else is there?

jb

I don't think it's entirely accurate to compare £500/wk benefits to 35K income as a large part of the beneifts are paid as housing benefit. This means that the benefits family's income after rent is the same regardless of the rent paid (provided they don't have to top it up themselves which will mean they have less) whereas a working family on 35K can increase their income after rent by moving into cheaper accommodation.

jb

Break it down for us to show the difference, if two families live side by side and rented their homes.

One receives £500 a week in state benefits while the other earns £34,090pa equaling £500 a week after tax.

Not really. Income support is fixed, child benefit is fixed. I guess they could get more council tax benefit but that's hardly going to put more money in their pocket. What else is there?

jb

OK...Having said that, for someone renting and have a family income of 35k they'd probably have to move area to find a similar property for less rent.. if you see what I mean..

Break it down for us to show the difference, if two families live side by side and rented their homes.

One receives £500 a week in state benefits while the other earns £34,090pa equaling £500 a week after tax.

Why would I do that, it's a simple concept. If your housing benefit is £200/wk and you move somewhere cheaper at £150/wk your income support and child benefit will stay the same.

If you work and pay £200/wk in rent then move somewhere at £150/wk you will have an extra £50/wk.

Some quick numbers form MSE for a single unemployed mother living in Kensington with rent currently at £400/wk in band D two bedroom property.

Child tax credits £62.72

Income support £71.70

Housing benefit £400

Council tax benefit £15.61

Total £570.33

After the cap housing benefit will reduce to £345.28 to bring the total to £500/wk (council tax benefit is not included in the cap) so the mother will have to either stump up £55/wk from her £134.42 available, leaving ~£80/wk for all food and bills, or move somewhere cheaper.

jb

Well they won't stand much of a chance or feel part of society if they grow up with the vivid memory of when the government destroyed their childhood by forcing their family out of their home, losing all their friends and other close family members, enthusiastically cheered on by society. Have a heart Zamo. Show some love, not hate.

Whereas you seem to think that the same events happening to the children of a working family are perfectly okay.

Archived